Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Malfunction Help Needed

rlv65

I have a 9mm P226 with around 30K rounds through it that is used primarily for USPSA.

Started having some extraction issues using UMC 115 factory ammo (which had previously been completely issue free). Replaced extractor myself following along with the armorer DVD. Ran about 360 rounds (factory & reloads) with no further problems (leading me to believe problem was fixed and extractor installed correctly).

Cleaned, lubed and attended a small local match (85 rounds) with no problems.

Went to USPSA Area 5 match and had problems from the start of the day using reloads (which are quite a bit hotter than factory). Since trying to compete, didn't take time during the match to troubleshoot - just tried to get through.

The night before the Area 5 match, I chamber checked ammo and loaded magazines (usually don't do).

After Area 5, went to range and cycled through the 11 mags again with factory ammo. Had various failures throughout (14 failures in 300 rounds) including failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject and failure to lock the slide back. Also ran some rounds through new mags and got a couple of failure to lock slide back.

Cleaned gun and used new mags at match today with one failure to extract in 140 rounds (much better but still too many compared to past).

Extractor looks OK - no breaks, chips, etc.

Recoil spring has 2500 rounds on it.

Would suspect mag springs, but new mags had a couple of issues also, though less frequent.

Any suggestions?

Is there any one problem that could cause all the issues or do I have multiple problems?

Can the extractor go "out of place"?

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by rlv65

Did you replace the extractor spring as well??

It should hold a loaded round pretty snug like this.

90fa0a6d.jpg

What recoil spring are you using?? At 2500 rounds you would be closing in on the 3500 recommended replacement point for a factory spring and in my experience wolff springs are pretty fatigued by the time you reach 1500-2000. I run a 14lb wolff in my X5 AR but change it every 1000-1500 rounds. I would try a new recoil spring for sure.

And maybe Bruce Gray will see this and add his wisdom.

Edited by staudacher

My 226 is the folded slide with the internal extractor - no spring that I know of.

Using (& have been previously) the factory recoil spring. The factory spring has worked well for the factory loads in the past. However, I think I may try a new one next time out so I can eliminate it as a cause since I have been running some higher PF loads.

Thanks for the response.

My 226 is the folded slide with the internal extractor - no spring that I know of.

Using (& have been previously) the factory recoil spring. The factory spring has worked well for the factory loads in the past. However, I think I may try a new one next time out so I can eliminate it as a cause since I have been running some higher PF loads.

Thanks for the response.

k.. so you the older internal extractor. that is whole other ballgame. They run great when they run but if they aren't tensioned just right they can be a real pain in the rear. If you can't get it lined out give Bruce a call he might be able to walk you through a fix on the phone or you could send the slide to him and he or Roy should be able to fix you up for a reasonable price.

• 2 months later...

Problem solved.

What I did not mention in my original post was that I noticed some "roughness" in the barrel chamber. When pointed out to Sig, they called it a "gas cut" (I assume hot gases bleeding by acting like a cutting torch).

Replaced the barrel and breech block - no more issues.

Back to being a mediocre shooter with no equipment excuses.

• 2 months later...