Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision 230s

jbrought

3.8 or 3.9 of Clays with the Precision Black Bullet will be close in a 5". Wonderful load. I run a nylon brush down my barrel when I break the gun down and clean it in a parts washer with Varsol. Never cleaned the barrel other than that and it is spotless shiny. Precision Black bullets are much easier to clean up after than jacketed IMO. Cheaper, as accurate and shoot softer with a lesser charge weight.

My test numbers for my current lot of Solo 1000:

~35 degrees F., Chrono = CED M2 at 12 feet

230 gr (weighed) LRN

Solo 1000 powder. Wolf LP primers. OAL = 1.250 (+/-.003)

5" Sprfld Amry. 1911, factory barrel

All velocities rounded down (decimals ignored)

Format: Mean velocity (Std dev), Average Power Factor (Low PF - Hi PF)

20 shots tested of each batch

4.22 gr, Avg velocity 751 (sd=10), Avg PF 173 (168-177)

4.12 gr., 725(13), PF 166 (160-173)

4.30 gr. , 774(14), PF 178 (173-183)

No barrel cleaning histrionics encountered at any time, while running lead thru 9mm, .40 & .45. I don't do much more than scrub the chamber when it looks gunky, and run the brush down the bore & back, on a semi-annual basis.

Edited by ben b.

Using Solo 1000+ Precision bullets, I have gotten a hard plastic like build up in spots in the bore that is extraordinarily hard to clean. No such problem with the BBI bullets. I'mve gone back to shooting jacketed Precision Delta and will probably go back to shooting Zero JHPs down the road.

Using Solo 1000+ Precision bullets, I have gotten a hard plastic like build up in spots in the bore that is extraordinarily hard to clean. No such problem with the BBI bullets. I'mve gone back to shooting jacketed Precision Delta and will probably go back to shooting Zero JHPs down the road.

My buddy JK has the same problem with his Kimbers and I have seen this with some other barrels - think it is rough spots or chatter marks in the barrel. Never a problem for me but I do have Schuemann barrels in all of my guns.

I have a Springfield and the precision bullets left a pretty heavy coating in my barrel too. It required some chore boy and a lot of scrubbing to get rid of. Aside from the build up, they do shoot quite well. I use the 200 grain SWC and clays gave the least smoke and best standard deviation out of anything I tried.

I'm surprised to read about the buildup. I've run a little over 5K precision 230s through my new 1911 in the past 4 or 5 months, and the only barrel cleaning I've done is to use a nylon brush on the chamber every 1000 rounds or so. Barrel is still nice and shiny with no visible residue, pitting, or other marks.

FWIW, 3.7 gr of Clays with an OAL of 1.245 puts me right at 165. 4.0 in the same OAL puts me at 178. It gets a little smoky over 3.9 grains, but its only noticeable in a dark house or shooting into the sun.