Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag stuck in magwell of a P16

entropic

At area 5 I had this problem several times and it likely cost me the win :lol: . Here were the conditions under which it happened:

-went to slide-lock (I know, the solution is to not let that happen ;) )

-seated a full sti/para mag just like the rest of mine

-hit the slide stop since the gun doesn't slingshot with a buff in it

-the slide falls forward about half an inch or so (as far forward as the top rear of the magazine)

-the round at the top of the mag didn't even begin to feed or nose dive or do anything fishy

-racking the slide did nothing

-the mag was somehow jammed really well in the magwell...it was very difficult to pull the mag out of the magwell (took 10 seconds or so to jimmy/yank it out)

I tried to recreate this as home where I could actually examine what was happening, but couldn't get it to happen... While pushing and holding the full (or empty) problem mag in the gun, the slide never stops from hitting the top rear of the mag. Is this possibly caused by the mag catch? Really slamming the mags in never seems to seat the mag deeper than it is supposed to go. The mag catch slot in the mag doesn't appear to be damaged either. Other then this the gun always drops mags perfectly. Thanks for any ideas,

Dave

possible over insertion of magazine?

I get the same problems when I do an overly aggresive mag insert into my single stack when doing slide lock reloads. its worse with the 10 round mags when I use my SS gun for L10.

At area 5 I had this problem several times and it likely cost me the win :lol: . Here were the conditions under which it happened:

-went to slide-lock (I know, the solution is to not let that happen ;) )

-seated a full sti/para mag just like the rest of mine

-hit the slide stop since the gun doesn't slingshot with a buff in it

-the slide falls forward about half an inch or so (as far forward as the top rear of the magazine)

-the round at the top of the mag didn't even begin to feed or nose dive or do anything fishy

-racking the slide did nothing

-the mag was somehow jammed really well in the magwell...it was very difficult to pull the mag out of the magwell (took 10 seconds or so to jimmy/yank it out)

This happened to me with my P-16 several years ago too. It took me 20-25 seconds to to clear the problem. The culprit was the slide stop. It needed to have the dimple enlarged just a touch. (where the plunger hits it) The slide stop worked it's way out enough to lock the slide up extremely tight. Since the dimple fix, it hasn't had the problem.

Did you also have a really tough time removing the magazine when the you had that problem?

Yes... I had almost given up on getting the mag out when I gave it one last big yank and I pulled it out.

The slide wasn't locked back all the way. Maybe shy about a 1/4".

I do remember the slide going into battery when the mag came out and a loose round followed the mag out of the mag well.

The chamber was empty.