Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recent Winchester 38 special +p brass has wider extractor groove

westczek

I just got a box of basic Winchester 38 special +p ammo to try out in my S&W 642. After shooting I noticed that the extractor groove is much wider than those on all the old Winchester 38 special brass I have. I even appears to be wider than the Remington brass I use with moonclips in my S&W 686. Might even be close to a Starline size groove. Does anyone know about this? Is there some new standard?

Westczek

westczek, from what I remember years back. There is no industry standard for the groove in the Revo Brass. The revos need no extractor groove hence no need to standardize, That is why there is so much variance from company to company, Once when Vic Mahearn was doing his 9 shot the brass had changed and that was the response he got form Starline many years ago. Speedstick correect me if I am mistaken. Later rdd

Bubber,

True. That waswhy I was surprise to see the groove change with this new ammo. I wouldn't see much reason for Winchester to change. I know Smith and Wesson is offering more guns with moonclips, but...

Westczek

I just got a box of basic Winchester 38 special +p ammo to try out in my S&W 642. After shooting I noticed that the extractor groove is much wider than those on all the old Winchester 38 special brass I have. I even appears to be wider than the Remington brass I use with moonclips in my S&W 686. Might even be close to a Starline size groove. Does anyone know about this? Is there some new standard?

Westczek

Westczek

I would be interested in seeing the brass of which you speak. If you are interested PM me. Dave

Hearthco

Dave,

I go the box of Winchester 125 grn JHP 38 special +p labled personal protection at Wallmart. It was the 50 round white box USA stuff. Under the bar code is 20892 21317 if that means anything to you. It is all head stamped WINCHESTER 38 SPL+P. I check the Winchester website, no surprise, no info there.

Westczek