Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is break in required for EZ loader ?

I recently had a DMW EZ loader installed on my 11-87. I ran about 25 rounds through it to test it out, and it was locking back the bolt several times during the testing. It wasn't consistent as to when it would lock the bolt back without feeding the next round as far as the mag tube being mostly full or mostly empty.

For those of you with this part installed, is there a break in period required to get it to run 100%, or do I need to take it back to my smith ?

This gun would run 100% all day long prior to installing the ez loader.

no this is not normal for the EZ loader. It is a little too tight and may need to be fitted with more clearance or has changed the timing and need to be tuned a little. Many EZ loaders work better if some of the gate is removed.

UPDATE

Before I had my EZ loader installed, I had just used it in a match and had 150+ rounds of grime in it. I also think that when I tested it after the EZ Loader was installed, I was using some fairly light target type loads when it was malfunctioning. I did not mention that every malfunction failed to kick the round out and it got hung up in the ejection port. I already threw away the box, so I am not sure what these rounds were.

Yesterday I took the gun apart and cleaned it up and lubed it. I took it out today and ran some Walmart rounds through it, but these rounds were all purpose rounds with probably a heavier load and a higher charge. This is the same stuff I had been shooting before the EZ Loader was installed that would run in the gun no matter what.

Today the gun ran every round I shot through it without a hiccup, and I ran a full box.

It appears the EZ Loader was not to blame, as today it ran like a champ. My issue was likely a too dirty gun, too light of a load, or a combo of both.