Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL in sp-01/shadow

mhop

i am going to be using mg 124 jhp in 9mm everybody says no longer than 1.100, i have 100 loaded up and shot and no problems the length was 1.125, another person was loading zero's in the same gun at 1.125 and no problem why does everybody say load so short have you each measured to check what length is the max or is everybody just going by what one person measured thanks matt

Next time somebody says 1.100" ask them whether that OAL is for JHP or some other bullet profile. Basically you want a length where the bullet is just a little bit away from the rifling in the barrel.

Anyway, I usually load my Montana Gold CMJ 147gn bullets with an OAL of 1.115". These are shaped like truncated cones. Works great with my CZ 75B, G34 and Beretta 92FS.

At one point I ran out of Montana Gold, but had some Xtreme 147gn round nose bullets. I just loaded up the batch early one morning and drove to up to the match. I ended up being the first shooter first the stage. At LAMR, I was puzzled why the slide wouldn't close all the way. The 1.115" with a round nose profile was hitting the rifling in the barrel. Good thing I brought a back up gun. The Xtreme bullets loaded just fine in the Beretta, and I got to shoot the match.

Next time somebody says 1.100" ask them whether that OAL is for JHP or some other bullet profile. Basically you want a length where the bullet is just a little bit away from the rifling in the barrel.

1.1" OAL is correct & a standard response. As above, this does depend on projectile shape & manufacturer.

Cheers, Ando.

The longest I could load a MG JHP is 1.08 in my Shadow. You may have got lucky and have a longer chamber or an after market barrel. CZs are famous/infamous for short chambers.

No free-bore the rifling goes all the way back.

i am going to be using mg 124 jhp in 9mm everybody says no longer than 1.100, i have 100 loaded up and shot and no problems the length was 1.125, another person was loading zero's in the same gun at 1.125 and no problem why does everybody say load so short have you each measured to check what length is the max or is everybody just going by what one person measured thanks matt