Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 neck too small after sizing

I suspect this is going to be a "new to reloading" question, but I was unable to find anything while searching this or other forums. Maybe I am not using the correct terms. Anyway.... I am unable to hand seat the bullet in the case neck before die seating and after resizing and priming. Should I have to hold the bullet on the neck all the way into the die? The cases swallow the bullet whole before resizing. I took the die (dillion on a 550B) apart and there is a little ball at the top of the depriming pin. I assume this is what opens the neck or keeps it open during resizing. I can't find anything explaining how I should adjust the die to change the outcome. I fooled around with adjusting teh die a little bit to no avail. There is nothing in the powder die to flare the neck, so I assume it is all supposed to happen in the sizing die. I am able to correctly seat the bullet and produce a correct length round if I hold it in place as it goes into the die. I have reloaded several different pistol cartridges, but this is my first attempt at a rifle caliber. It seems like I am missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

There is a difference between Dillon's powder funnel for handgun dies and rifle dies.

In the handgun die funnel there is a flaring function built in as the funnel slides into the case to bell or flare the mouth and drop the powder.

In the rifle caliber die funnel, the funnel does not enter the case at all. Instead, there is a 90-degree shoulder which is contacted by the case mouth to activate the powder measure.

Some people install a Lee Universal Expander Die in station 3 to put a minimum bell or flare on the case. Just use enough to get the bullet started - no more. Other use a Wilson type chamfer tool to cut a minumum chamfer on the inside of the case neck.

I have to hold the bullet as I raise the ram to seat it until it makes contact and enters the case neck.

If all else fails call Dillon and ask for help. Their customer service is great.

Phil G

Edited by Phil G

There is a difference between Dillon's powder funnel for handgun dies and rifle dies.

In the handgun die funnel there is a flaring function built in as the funnel slides into the case to bell or flare the mouth and drop the powder.

In the rifle caliber die funnel, the funnel does not enter the case at all. Instead, there is a 90-degree shoulder which is contacted by the case mouth to activate the powder measure.

Some people install a Lee Universal Expander Die in station 3 to put a minimum bell or flare on the case. Just use enough to get the bullet started - no more. Other use a Wilson type chamfer tool to cut a minumum chamfer on the inside of the case neck.

I have to hold the bullet as I raise the ram to seat it until it makes contact and enters the case neck.

If all else fails call Dillon and ask for help. Their customer service is great.

Phil G

+1 for that Lee Expander die.