Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fort Polk 3 Gun/Sniper Matches

I will be finishing up in Florida around the middle of July and will start the 3 Gun/sniper Matches back at the Leesville/Fort Polk, LA Range in July (Date to be determined).

We will be building various apparatus/structure for tactical/sniper and carbine matches.

I talked/shot with Terry Cross last week (KMW). I am going to pick his mind/expertise and get him involved with helping me with stage design and such. He says some of the most fun matches he has shot were within 300 yards. I am pretty excited about that as he is a great guy and one of the best in the game.

We have always had great support from the Leesville PD and I plan to use the whole range, all the way back to the old obstacle/training course. Great natural terrain shotgun course potential.

I plan on doing mainly a two gun format; Carbine/Pistol with Sniper/Tactical Rifle included and running separate, tactical shotgun only match dates. Up to you guys. We will see how it works out.

More to come.

Regards,

JT

Edited by Jack T

Gets pretty hot out there during that time of year. I love physical (Except mud) but would rather have technical for these matches.

The great thing is it is always flexible, we do what we want to do!

I just starting to get into the Tactical/Sniper stuff and when I found out I was shooting with Terry Cross over in Alexandria, damn I couldn't believe it, I was excited like a little kid. What an asset to have in this area!

My being retired allows me to spend time out at the range and get everything set up. It is our range so, I can leave everything set up and tear down at leisure.

Michael, no, we don't have a website. Just a bunch of illiterate rednecks with guns around here.

I will keep everyone informed on the site here or just give me a call. I will stop by and see Lee S. on my way back through this time and try to get him to drop in also. Want to shoot one of the matches with you guys.

If I can find someone capable/interested in maintaining a website I will do that.

These will be monthly/bi-monthly matches. Shotgun matches (as of now) will be separate from the Sniper/Carbine/Pistol matches.

I will start looking at getting ranges on Fort Polk to be able to do some long range (800-1000) yard competition. That will open up a complete other venue/dimension and could be interesting.

Jack

561 317-9096

Edited by Jack T

I met with the Deputy Chief today and he gave me complete oversight of the Leesville PD Range for competition. Fits within their long term goals for PR.

No restrictions, other than safety. Starting the planning phase now and will do a survey of the back acreage by the water treatment facility tomorrow.

Will get with Tommy B. and trailer the bulldozer, move/build berms where we need them when I get back.

Open for suggestions, but still looking at a two gun format; Carbine/pistol and at least 2-3 stages for sniper competition. The sniper matches are new to me, so I will seek outside guidance from Terry Cross in this regard (Divisions, Bolt/Semi Auto, major/minor, etc)

I will set up separate match dates for shotgun only competition and will follow the IPSC/Pan American Shotgun Championship format for these matches.

Regular pistol matches will be scheduled on a non interference basis with everything else going on in the area. Of course as usual, we will set up a match whenever we get the urge or the need arises for practice.

Later,

JT

Come on, you guys can't take me too seriously. Dedicated 3 gunners are the best people I have ever known in the shooting sports!!

I will never forget the first Area 6, 3 Gun Match that was held in Alabama. Only about 60 shooters showed up and we all knew each other, great guys, and it turned out to be one of the best matchs I have ever been to. The guys did a great job of set up and it was just plain damn fun!!

Jack

At this time, yes. Eventually I want to have them separate. But, for now I would like to integrate a couple of stages which follow the sniper match format where the .308s etc. are used.

I am open for suggestions, as I have never done this format before and am in the planning stage.

Basically just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Waiting for Terry Cross to get back to me as he is definitely the expert in this regard.

Jack

561 317-9096

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

any word on when the matches are? i am in the shreveport area and am interested in coming to shoot in your matches. thanks

Thank you for your interest.

Still in the basic concept/planning stages. I am seriously thinking about trying to move the matches on the Fort Polk Military Reservation. This is great for the multitude of ranges (long range) we would have, but it is difficult for civilians to get on post these days.

Will know more in the next few weeks.

Regards,

Jack