Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taking out rail in .40S&W mags

drjr

I just got 3 eaa factory mags for my limited, but all 3 have the rail inside. I think i read a post about removing the rail but cant remember what forum it was on. I looked on here but might have missed it. Anyone help a brutha out?

Yeah, search has gotten much harder after the forum upgrade. Too much "noise" in the hits.

Anyway, from what I recall from the post, the procedure was:

1) Drill out the rivets. (I think using a drill press will make this easier.)

2) If the rail doesn't just pop off when the last rivet is drilled out, you can help things along by prying it off with a screwdriver.

3) Using a small round file, smooth out the burrs of the drill hole. Pay attention to the inner side since you don't want bullets hanging up on the holes.

image_1475.jpg

I used a spring-loaded center punch similar to the one pictured above. I did this yesterday with 5 of my .40 mags. I need to get out and test them now.

It took me literally 3 minutes to do all 5 mags with a spring-loaded center punch.

image_1475.jpg

I used a spring-loaded center punch similar to the one pictured above. I did this yesterday with 5 of my .40 mags. I need to get out and test them now.

It took me literally 3 minutes to do all 5 mags with a spring-loaded center punch.

Why take out the rail?

Alex