Hornady 60 Gr. .224 Bullets

TBF

Midsouth shooters supply

1-800-272-3000

153-2272B5000...... $ 150.00

1532272B1000..... $ 34.00

Now the question:

Anybody try them?

They appear to be the same bullet Hornady uses in the TAP barrier penetrating round. I am not interested in their penetrating ability, do they shoot ???

Travis F.

I ordered 5000 chances to find out for myself if no answers.

What's the construction and shape of the 60? FMJ? HP? BT? FB? Got a ballistic coefficient for them? (I love running bullets through trajectory software.)

I don't know about the 60s, but Hornady's bulk 55 FMJs were recommended as more accurate than the bulk Win/Rem 55s, but less expensive than the Sierras, Noslers, etc. They were.

I ran onto that yesterday, here's what the website says:

HORNADY BULK 22 CAL. 224 DIA. 60GR PROTECTED POINT BARRIER W/ CANNELURE 1,000/ BAG---$34 per 1,000

I went to Hornady's website and couldn't find any information on this bullet, it's definitely a good price. Link below:

Hornady bulk 22 cal 60 gr Protected Point Barrier w/cannelure

Erik,

I have used the 55 FMJ's W/cannelure, surprising accuracy for bullets that seem to have the cannelure applied somewhat randomly. 1.5 MOA ( apx.) for 20 round groups. I would never have guessed that from the loading bench after looking at the finished product and seeing the variance in the height of the cannelure visible.

Much better than bulk Rem. stuff.

And cheap, like me.

Hope these are at least as good, they were meant for LE premium ammo.

Travis F.

I've been reloading for about 35 years, but I am just getting set up to load 223, I have been reading about cannelures not being uniform in location, even in the same bag or box of bullets. I have read complaints on Remington and Winchester bullets having that problem, and now it seems that even the Hornady's might have the same situation, makes no sense to me.

I guess you just load them all to the same OAL since I would be taper crimping anyway, no matter where the cannelure falls, is that correct? :unsure:

G56,

Thats what I did, ASSuming that the cannelure was applied in different places. OAL measured with comparator insert gave readings very close to the same for rounds with the cannelure showing partially or flush with the case mouth. The hard part was finding a middle ground for the initial setting.

I use a Lee FCD for crimping, taper crimp would probably be OK too, as long as the cases were all the same length.

I'll let you know what these bullets look like when I get them. Cheap enough to take a chance at this price.

Travis F.

If they are the same bullet that Hornaday uses for the TAP rounds they are probably on blowout sale. Midway has the loaded rounds on blowout as they have been discontinued in .223...at least according to Midway.

So if you like 'em, buy a ton but don't get hooked on them as they may not be available for very long.

As far as I know, the 60gr. TAP barrier round has been discontinued. WHY ? I dunno, hopefully not cuz it shoots poorly.

Midsouth also has loaded ammo ( TAP 60gr. barrier ) for $8.79 or so. ( 20 rounds ), quantities limited, so for those who need to shoot thru barriers instead of around them, and don't handload...nevermind , that might get you tossed off the range.

Kimel, do you have a link for midway ? I had no luck finding the sale mentioned.

Travis F.

TBF, when you get those bullets will you check them with a magnet to check for any steel? The way they are being described I wonder if there is any steel in the bullet. When it's cold I shoot at an indoor range, they test all ammo with a magnet before letting it be used, sounds like they have had some problems!

I would appreciate it if you could check them with a magnet and post the result, I'd like to order some, but if they have any steel in the bullet they won't work for me.

G56,

Bullets arrived . Sectioned one for grins.

No steel, just a thick ( .050 apx. ) jacket, and lead, unusual construction. Exposed lead measures .085 apx at tip and extends .210 from nose where it becomes more standard in width. Base is also .050 thick, flatbase. Cannelures are applied about the same as on the 55gr. FMJ W/cannelure, not in exactly the same place on every bullet, this is evident on factory rounds.

Pulled down a loaded round for grins too, 23.5 gr. of a powder that is a dead ringer ( visually ) for H335. Hodgdon lists 24.0 as max for 60 gr. V max, And 25.0 as max for 63gr. bullet.

Have not had a chance to make it to the range yet.

Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post for anyone following this thread,

5K packages are gone.

They will still give the same price on 5 1K packs.

Bought 10k on the ASSumption they will shoot acceptably well for 3 cent bullets.

Based on visual exam only, the cannelure is not nearly as random as 55gr. bullets on the ones I have loaded, it was the factory stuff I looked at that showed this problem. Mine turned out fine.

Hope I didn't make a bad purchase, I'll find out on the next trip to the range.

Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interested.

They shoot better than most 4 cent bullets, even some 8 cent bullets.

2 MOA with a couple of loads, at 30 degrees, with blowing snow, dim light, a bipod and no rear bag, and a wobbly wooden table. My point is that I figure they shoot better than this , I take responsibility for some of the error.

Travis F.

BTW 20 round grougs at 100 YDS = 2"