Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 Mag Problems

diver60540

i have a 9mm kimber. i can't seem to get any mags to work reliably. i've tried, metalform, mec-gar, and 38 super wilsons. none of their followers seem to engage the slide stop consistantly after the last round is fired. not only does the slide not lock open, sometimes the edge of the followers jam against the slide stop making the mag stick in the gun. it seem that the followers move around in the tubes enough to get bumped to the side as it hits the slides stop allowing it to either ride right over it, or stick against it. all of the mags (8 of each), and the gun are new. i quickly tried a wilson bullet proof slide stop while hand cycling the gun, and it didn't do any better. would greatly appreciate any help or ideas

It is possible that there is a 45 slide stop in your gun..I have heard of this happining..I don't know if Kimber marks the part,seems that everybody else does..

Call Kimber and ask for a correct slide stop..There is a difference between the 45 and the 9/38,the latter is longer where it protrudes into the mag channel so it can make contact with the mag follower..

I had to remove the followers on many of my Metalform mags and bend the tab that engages the slide stop outward. This only will work on stainless followers, the blue ones will snap off instantly. Metalform can supply you with extra SS followers.

This solved all the problems.

I'd second bompa on this one. I have the 40 metalform mags I purchased from Dillon Precision years ago and they are engaging the slide stop no problem - that's because I installed a 38 super slide stop. When I was shooting Limited 10 with my single stack 40 (actually more like limited 8), I had a deactivated 45 slide stop in there just to prevent the slide from locking. Since I'm just reserving that pistol as defense piece now, I added the 38 super slide stop to tell me the pistol is empty. josh

Welcome to 9mm hell!

Ditto on calling Kimber and getting the 9mm slide stop...it is definitely a separate part. Quickest thing to do is call dennis at the Kimber Custom Shop--406-758-2222--and tell him you spoke to me and need the new slide stop.

Also, Walt Rauch swears by the Springfield 9mm mags, which I believe are MetalForms that Springfield has dinked around.

I havent' had any trouble with my Mec-Gars since the new slide stop went in.

Michael B

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to everyone for the help. i've waited this long [it's monday 2/16) to reply, because the new slide stop (marked 38) from kimber finally arrived on sat 2/14. first call to them was on 1/23. 2 more (it didn't go out until 2/9), and i have the part. to date, i've only shot 45 cal 1911's, and have to admit that i didn't know there were different size slide stops for different calibers. prior to being informed by you fine gentlemen, i thought it was the mags; now i have a nice collection! anyone know how to drill megar nickle bases for pads? man those things are hard!

thanks again everyone :)