Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pins

Interesting that this is a recurring problem spanning at least 5 years, that was when I broke a C&S EFP in an area match. Fellow competitor gave me a replacement stock FP and said to pay it forward, so now I carry an extra spare for the next person that breaks an EFP.

This is a great thing about competition shooting...the help from and chance to help others. I've got parts and tools in my bag at every shoot, just because I hate seeing DNF's.

As far as EFP's go I am back to running a stock length with a rounded end to it...not the new pointy jobs and it is going well so far. I believe I'll head in the APEX direction eventually.

• 5 months later...

I have tried every firing pin under the sun, and I have found nothing that works better than the second generation .495" +/- factory Ti pin with round tip. These pins are getting tougher to find all the time, and everything recently has been shipping out with the crappy "California drop test compliant" shorter firing pin with the pointed tip.

When I can no longer find the "good" factory pins anywhere, I will probably switch to the steel firing pin that Randy Lee sells.

Hmm, I just ordered a replacement factory FP and a Apex as well. I hope the factory is just like the one I have now- .495" Ti that you like. Are there any issues with the Apex being steel versus the lighter Ti FP from the factory? I don't know how long the Apex is- it doesn't say on their site and I have a call in now.