Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell carriers

Just ordered a Rem1100 and now I need some shell carriers, looking for the 4 rounders. Theres a couple different options and I would like to know what ones are the best to get and who you've found to have the best price?

Going to put the DMW easy loader on, any other must have add ons for limited division?

I am running a little comparison test myself on the different 4 round caddies out there. Thus far I am a big fan of the Man Mountain Engineering caddies. They are the smallest, lightest, have the best fit/finish. Have loops on back that your belt goes through with no chance if tearing them off. Plus If you are running a CRSpeed type Velcro belt there is a big gap between the two belt loops so your outer belt has space to grab your inner belt. The MME caddies use those little loop ended spring wires to keep the shells in. II like these wires a little better than the bent sheet metal deal that the Progressive Machine and Mark Otto caddies use. The reason I like it more is that its retention seems a little more forgiving which allows me to pull the shells out a little more consistently. The PM and MO caddies may provide better shell retention under hard running or jumping. I haven't run them in a match yet but will do so on the 16th and again at the FNH match. Here are the various weights of the caddies Im testing.

Choate 6 rounder w/ velcro on back - 4.7 oz

Mark Otto Lexan - 5.8 oz

Man Mountian Engineering - 3.6 oz

Progressive Machine & Tool - 7.6 oz

California Competition w/insert - 4.2 oz

All of these caddies work well but I just ordered a full set of MME after using all of them for a few weeks while practicing.

The best place to buy them is at CPWSA. You get a little discount if you buy 3 or more.

I never did check Brownells now that Im thinking about it.

6s vs 4s is personal preference.

I like 4s, since I can grab 4 at a time, with the 6s I'd end up grabbing 5, and be all messed up.

Also, some of the 6s.. you take a couple out, the others can bounce out when you run.

Most people seem to have gone to weak hand reloads, the arm bands are slow in comparison.

I had been using 6 rounders exclusively and can load pretty fast from them. I was then reading a bunch of posts on this forum about people preferring the 4 rounders over the 6. So being the gear junkie that I am I ordered one of each brand to try. I found I could load 8 rounds .1-.2 seconds faster during dry fire practice so now I own a full set of 5 Man Mountain caddies. The 4 round caddies give me a slightly more consistent grip on the shells. I am not selling my 6 rounders anytime soon though as a they will get use for carrying slugs, buckshot, or when I have to shoot a 30+ round shotgun only stage and 20 rounds in my 5 small caddies isn't enough.