Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide release button

Field

this is more prevalent for if/when i shoot esp in idpa but it wouldnt hurt to know about this for uspsa as well.

i shoot an xdm9 in production, much of the time if/when i go dry the slide will not lock back mainly because my thumb will be pressing on or touching the slide release button. its not a HUGe deal necessarily but it would be nice to have the slide lock back consistently when empty so i dont have to completely rack the slide to load.

would shaving or cutting off part of the slide release button be deemed illegal modification for production division?

i like this xdm9 pretty well, the slide release location is one of the only things i would change personally.

Edited by Field

What you have in mind would be an illegal external mod.

Curtis

Agreed - Does Springfield make differing OEM slide stops? I had the opposite problem with my extended release in my G34 - I was pushing it up in my grip and catching the slide so I changed it for the standard stop.

My situation above is a problem, but there's also the school of thought that wants the slide stop to not work. I don't get either position - natural tendency when I hit slide lock is to rack anyway, so either or works for me - but I see a lot of people with no slide stop dropping the hammer on a dead chamber only to realize at that point they went empty. To each their own - IDPA might play better with stops, i don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

2010 combined rules

i see this under authorized modifications:

''Exchange of minor components

(springs, safeties, slide stops, guide rods)''

but then i see this under prohibited modifications:

''Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest''

from what i see it seems accepted to file the slide release button because it says that you can put different slide stops in anyways. it is inferring against adding parts that act as thumb rests and the like.

Yes, you can put in different slide stops, but they these slide stops have to come from the factory and is available for other production legal guns.

No, you can't file the slide release down because it'll be an illegal external modification. Additionally, the text around the rules is stated that unless a modification is specifically allowed, it considered illegal.

If it were legal to file things down, Glock shooters who have replaced their mag release and are now complaining about the serrations on the extended mag release digging into their hands would be filing down the serrations without fear of being bumped to open.