Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP vs. Benelli M2 Tactical

rc601962

I am trying to decide between a Benelli M2 Tactical and the FN SLP Mark I with the 22" barrel. Can someone tell me the advantages of each? I currently use an M1S90 with a 28" barrel for hunting quail, chukar, and waterfowl. I have had this gun for 15 years. It has been very reliable with all loads.

I think the FN will be less expensive. Reliability is my number one priority because this will double as a home defense gun.

I want to buy a separate gun for 3 gun. I could upgrade my M1S90. But, barrels are so expensive. Any advice?

Hi rc, I have been shooting an FN Mark 1 now for 2 years and I have had no trouble with it. It has eaten anything I feed it without a failure or jamb. The FN is a good shotgun right out of the box for 3gun/ mutigun in my opinion. If you would like more info there are other posts in this section dealing with the Mark 1 and on tricking them out.

If you already have a M1S90 and wanted a new gun, then I would suggest the M2 just for the sake of ease to transition from the M1 to the M2. You are probably use to how the Benelli feels and operates, although the M2 is a little different, it is nearly the same in the way it operates and how it feels when you pull the trigger. The SLP is a great gun as well, but will be slightly different in some aspect then the Benelli when it comes to operation and the gas operated action.

Either gun would be a great choice for action shooting.

Like with any gun, I would shoot it quite a bit before I would trust my life with it just to work out any bugs that might be in it. After that trial period either could be a defensive shotgun as well.

How would you compare the reliability of the two guns? My existing M1S90 has been very reliable. Is the FN SLP just as reliable?

If I wanted to have my existing M1S90 barrel cut down, who would be a good choice and what would be a ball park price?

Edited by rc601962

How would you compare the reliability of the two guns? My existing M1S90 has been very reliable. Is the FN SLP just as reliable?

I have seen problems with both guns right out of the box, but after shooting a hundred rounds or so the guns that had issues now run great.

I think (or have been told) that the SLP is shipped with a more powerful recoil spring then what is needed and could lead to the gun only working with heavier loads until its broken in. Something you can look into to make sure, I defiantly am not a FNH SLP guru.

If I wanted to have my existing M1S90 barrel cut down, who would be a good choice and what would be a ball park price?

Can anything beat the reliability of the Benelli Inertia Driven System?

This guy can cut down your barrel.

Steve Rose

aka GunCat on the enos forum

www.roseactionsports.com

I think price is $80 or $130 with 3 chokes. I can't speak for his work but he has answered a bunch of my questions promtly.

Edited by jtischauser

You may want to check my post on this topic titled "FN vs. Benelli" which has some different tests that I and another shooter ran. It was performance-based and tested the SLP against my 11-87 and my M1S90.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

It was on Page 2 about mid-way down.

I decided on the SLP Mark I today. I ordered two. I figure the controls are exactly like the gun I have been hunting with for 20 years (M1S90). So, weapons familiarity will not be an issue. I like the extra capacity of the SLP and the fact that it is a little faster and smoother.

Benelli, as much as I love the gun, has severely challenged customer service. I called trying to find their distributors that might have a couple M2 Tacticals in stock. The lady on the phone would not give me any names! I was willing to do the legwork to contact them for availability. She only wanted to send me to people I know did not have the gun in my state. That and the extra price sealed the deal for FN.