Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help

bigcat

I am new to competition shooting and have a few problems right off the bat. one is i have been blind in my right eye since i was seven and i am right handed. rifle and shotgun isn't what i would like but not bad. pistol is pretty good. two, there is no club anywhere around my home town that i know of. i live in lebanon mo. three, i am buying my pistol in a couple of weeks from friend that is getting me in to shooting. it is an eaa witness match in .40. he said he has an old AR i can borrow and said we can use the same shotgun in matches but with nowhere close to get quality practice i am a little nervous. i have 29 acres of land here but don't know how to said up a good practice range. any suggestion on any of these problems?

The www.uspsa.org club finder shows 3 club contacts less than 100 miles. If you enter your zip code in the club finder box on the uspsa website, you'll pull up that info. 53 miles being the closest one. Of course that isn't ideal but it is better than nothing. The contact person's address is what is measured so the actual range may be even closer than that. I suggest you give one of those or all of those folks a call & see what they have to say & figure out something that works. My home range is 45 miles from my house so I know what you mean about not too close. It is hard to get out to practice.

On your property, that depends on the nearness of neighbors, the lay of the ground & so forth as to whether or not you can build a range. You need really good backstops if there is any chance at all of anyone being "downrange" of your shooting area within a mile or so.

There is always dry fire that you can do at home for free anytime you want. There is a book by Steve Anderson that gives lots of dry fire drills that will really teach you lots of basics.

Good luck!

Mark Miller

Welcome bigcat, I can't help you to much because I am a beginner, but there are some great people here that can. Don't be nervous and shoot at your own pace, shoot safely, and have fun. You will get faster with time.

Thanks,

Sean

The www.uspsa.org club finder shows 3 club contacts less than 100 miles. If you enter your zip code in the club finder box on the uspsa website, you'll pull up that info. 53 miles being the closest one. Of course that isn't ideal but it is better than nothing. The contact person's address is what is measured so the actual range may be even closer than that. I suggest you give one of those or all of those folks a call & see what they have to say & figure out something that works. My home range is 45 miles from my house so I know what you mean about not too close. It is hard to get out to practice.

On your property, that depends on the nearness of neighbors, the lay of the ground & so forth as to whether or not you can build a range. You need really good backstops if there is any chance at all of anyone being "downrange" of your shooting area within a mile or so.

There is always dry fire that you can do at home for free anytime you want. There is a book by Steve Anderson that gives lots of dry fire drills that will really teach you lots of basics.

Good luck!

Mark Miller

thanks for the input. excited to start and get my own equipment. this will be alot of fun to be sure