Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical .300 Win. Mag.

Bill T

kimber8400bushnell32000.jpg

kimber8400bushnell32000.jpg

kimber8400kimberstainle.jpg

kimber8400kimberstainlef.jpg

kimber8400kimberstainle.jpg

It's a Kimber Model 8400 L.A. Police Tactical in .300 Winchester Magnum. It comes from the factory with a 20 MOA steel rail, hand lapped bolt lugs and raceways, and a trued up bolt face. The barrel is cut with a match chamber and is hand lapped as well. The action is glass bedded. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X in Leupold Mark IV steel rings. They lapped in very nicely. I've had it to the range to sight it in and check functioning. With cheap Federal "Power-Shock" ammo it grouped well under an inch all day. The barrel cleaned up very easily with no time wasted with "brake in's". I'm going to load up some 190 grain Sierra Matchking's with 72 grains of IMR 4831 for starters. I'm going to order a set of Redding Precision dies tomorrow from Midway. I have a set of Lyman dies in .300 Win. Mag., but I want something better. The micrometer adjustable seating dies makes it much easier to seat just off the lands. Kimber test fires these rifles at the factory, and won't let them out the door unless they go 1/2 MOA or better. I'm hoping this will be a very good long range performer. Bill T.

• 1 year later...

Bill I have the same rifle and haven't started reloading. Have you found any ammo that shoots really well with this particular rifle? Same caliber. Most of the shooting that I do with this is 500-1000 yards. So I'm looking for a good quality round to use since I don't reload yet.

Thanks

I have fired only handloaded ammunition in my Kimber 8400. I have 2 other rifles in .300 Win. Mag. and reload extensively for that round. I'm not sure if Federal makes a .300 Win. Mag. load in their Gold Medal line, but if they do that would be one I would consider. Also, I know Black Hills makes a match grade .300 Win. Mag. loading, and their ammo is always of high quality.

In my handloads I've been running Sierra 190 grain Matchkings, as well as 210 grain Berger VLD's with very good results accuracy wise. For powder I've always favored IMR 4831. I do have some Reloader 22 and 25 I will experiment with in the future. I'm seating about .030 off the lands. I gotten 1/2" groups at 100 yards quite regularly in calm conditions. The Kimber 8400 is capable of very good accuracy. Bill T.

Federal does make a .300 Win Mag load in the Gold Medl Match. My department gets them on a state contract price, along with the .308 GMM. I have a 2007 Kimber 8400 Tactical in .308 that AI ordered just after teh introduction at the SHOT Show on'07, and received 27 September,2007. So far I have fired over 4000 rounds through it, and it still shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inxh groups off the bipod. If I sand bag the front, it will; do better, but that is a reflection of my abilities, not shortcomings of the rifle.

Thanks Bill and Biloxi. Hopefully i'll find your input about reloading this round helpful very soon, that was my next question so I appreciate your input. I know I won't be able to shoot factory ammo very long and need to start loading ASAP. How far out are you shooting? Have you measured groupings past 100 yards?

I've only taken it out a couple times with a mediocre scope, right now i'm waiting on a Leupold Mark IV so i'm looking forward to getting that dialed in and really going the distance within the next couple weeks.

How far out are you shooting? Have you measured groupings past 100 yards?

My club range goes to 500 yards. I've fooled around out in the desert farther, but nothing but "fun shooting". I try to shoot only on calm days so as not to contaminate groups with a lot of "wind doping". Something I've never been good at, and don't want to wind up badmouthing a rifle because of my inabilities. My best group at 500 yards was just over 4 inches. For a guy like me with aging 58 year old eyes, I'll take a step back and call that good. I'm sure if I handed the thing off to David Tubb things would take a turn for the better, if you know what I mean. :D I'm very satisfied with this weapon. I spent a lot of coin on it, but it has all been worth it. The stock fits me very well, and it is very comfortable to shoot because of it. It's starting to heat up now, but this coming Fall, I'll be out there sending a bunch downrange! At my age I don't like to sweat. The comfort of the pool and a drink seems to surpass one hole groups in the heat. :cheers: Bill T.

Edited by Bill T

Bill T, I got you by a year or so. My longest shots were at 500 yards, but my most im[pressive shooting was at 350, which is my "normal" long range shots. All of the rounjds fired through my Kimber have been factory new GMM, save for one box of Winchester Supreme Ballistic Slvertips in 168 grain. They shot well, but I don't have the access to them that I do the GMM.

Didn't quite have the same experience. After 1200 rds of 308 the sear wouldn't hold -- sent back for adjustment. After 1600 rounds extractor started pulling off the round. Loved the stock. Accuracy was on par with this group of rifles.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a Kimber 8400 classic in 300 win mag last month. Havent been to the range with it yet but I'm expecting it to be fun. The anticipation is building as I normally shoot revolvers and a few semi-auto pistols. Going to try and hold out till fall though. Just too darn hot out here as it's been over 100 the past week with no let up in sight.

Edited by West Texas Granny