Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I a Thief?

Ron Ankeny

The classification system and its "problems" is a difficult question. Should we allow grandbagging? Can we prevent sandbagging?

I personally know shooters who work hard, practice a lot, and avoid shooting classifiers so that they can win prizes at big matches (sandbagging). That offends me. We ought to try to prevent that!

I know shooters who have reshot classifier stages to get a better score so that they can move up in class. I think that's their business and if they want to be in a higher class we should let them.

Does the current system accurately represent a shooter's "on demand" ability??? Why don't we include low scores? If we assume that every classifier submitted represents an honest attempt at that stage shouldn't it be included with the scores used to calculate classification?

I've been C class for a long time now. My shooting is very inconsistent.  When I'm shooting well my ability is clearly well above C class. But I also trash a lot of stages. I have a lot of very low classifier scores that get thrown out because they are more than 10% below my average.

Those were honest scores. I was trying to win those matches. They represent my real ability at that time. I really am that inconsistent. You have to go back more than two years to find eight scores that keep me in C class. I'd have won prizes in D class at major matches, but I finish way down in C. Is this really fair???

Don't mean to be whining. I enjoy shooting USPSA matches and I'm not really after prizes. I'm just not sure that the classification scheme is as equitable as it could be.

Cheers,

Applaud  and bow to those  whom desire and strive to earn and achieve higher levels.  For they are the true reason that we compete.

Despise those whom attempt to reach the level of M or GM by grandbagging . For it cheapens the title and degrades those whom have the dedication and earn  it.

Ridicule and spit on those whom sandbag intentionally to steal a win from someone who REALLY deserved it. Well, OK don’t spit, maybe passing gas on them would keep the attorneys away.

Ron Ankeny

It is my opinion that classes belong at the club level only. Section Championships, Area Championships, National Championships and World levels, there should only be one class, COMPETITOR. Divisions such as Women , Child and Man  are OK. Open, Limited, Production and Revolver would be fine too. But do we really need all of the other divisions at matches, other then the club level?

Is not USPSA supported financially at the Club level?  Shouldn’t the club level be the arena in which  we pat each other on the back, have fun and socialize with others of like mind? Shouldn’t Championships be the arena in which  we battle, sweat and hurt for a win? Wouldn’t performance at such Championships be worth more then some letter grade, reached by shooting classifiers? Would it not be better if we reserved M and GM for those whom are of such dedication that they earn them at competitions  where the best of the best where present? M could be earned at a Section and Area level and GM National and World? Just some thoughts.

Bill