Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 limited+precision bullets+ Solo 1000..FOULING

pivoproseem

I'm experiencing moly buildup in my barrel that is extremely hard to clean. It's really in the first 1.5 -2 inches from the chamber. I'm running 185gr Precisions at 1.19, over @4.6gr of Solo 1000, using an EGW undersize die, no crimp die, of course. I have been running some 9mm 130gr BBI bullets in my SP-01 with Lee dies and a Lee FCD. THe barrel is very easy to clean. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this?? I wonder if the U die is making the case deform the bullet on seating, causing the bullet to not make a good seal (up to the case rim) and allows the burning power around the side of the bullet, causing the moly to be deposited on the barrel. I may load some without the U-die, and use a regular Lee die and an FCD to see if makes a difference. I've got some 200 gr BBI bullets on order, to just to see if they leave any more deposits in the barrel. Anyone have a suggestion?? I thought posting here would give me a little more "focused" feedback, since I'm wondering about this combo only as it pertains to the .40 Tanfo Limited..

Edited by pivoproseem

This thread would be better served in the reloading forum for sure. But my first reaction is a simple one. Not all bullets and barrels perform well to together. That problem becomes far more prevalent using lead. My OEM Glock barrels work very well with moly lead bullets with .356 and .401 diameters respectively. Something less then that would more than likely have fouling issues.

Solo 1000 is a fantastic propellant for lead bullets, coated or otherwise. I'm no longer using the FCD. I might suggest using a taper crimp die in its place. The FCD "in my experience" performs better with .355 and .400 jacketed bullets. Others will have differing opinions of course.

Ultimately you'll need to experiment some before purchasing bulk quantities of bullets.