Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal Question

I have a Square Deal with dies in 40 S&W, 9mm, and 45 ACP. The problem I’m having is when the press advances from the powder station to the bullet seating station I’m loosing some powder out of the case mouth just at the end of the indexing. I have to put my finger over the case to keep all of the powder in.

Is this a common problem with the press or is something wrong. I haven’t heard of any one else complaining about having this problem. I am only loading 3gr. of Bullseye in my 40 S&W but its still a problem. If anyone has had a similar problem, I would love to get some info.

Thanks

A couple of suggestions:

First, be sure the shellplate bolt is snug. The SDB uses a shoulder bolt, so just tighten it down until it stops. Push down on the edge of the shellplate, see if it feels springy. If it does, then underneath the shellplate needs to be cleaned.

Another possibility is that the cup and punch on the primer slide may not be fully seated into the primer slide. If this occurs, then the primer cup snaps up through the hole in the shellplate, shaking everything, and often causing primers to flip.

Measuring from the underside of the primer slide to the top of the primer cup , should be 1.410", +/- .003". If necessary, use a clamp or vise to fully reseat the cup and punch into the slide, then tighten the set screw when it is still in the clamp.

If you require any additional assistance, please post or call us at Dillon;1-800-223-4570. best to call when you can be in front of your loader.

Mauser,

This is not a normal condition. Good advice above. The Dillon guys are fantastic for customer service, even when you buy their stuff used.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Travis F.