Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

D to M in however long it takes

Rivr_runnr

Those tubes are 11 & 12 rounders with the springs cut down to about 10" sticking out of the end with the end cap off. It's a little less than Benny tecommendsbut its running and it's easy to load. I always carry a backup spring at a match.

I don't know that there are any tricks or keys to a fast reload. If I had to say the most important thing for me is the fact that I took Kurt Millers 3 gun class and he taught us exactly what to do and had continued to help me improve.

2nd would be getting a good consistent grip on tbe shells coming out of the caddy. I just switched to the much more expensive 4 round caddies and that made me faster and broke instantly. You gotta keep your thumb in contact with the lifter at all times too.

Range time last night 2 hours. I worked on El Prez, shot the plate rack and did shotgun loading drills.

I shot around 250 pistol rounds and 50 shotgun rounds. My shotgun loading is really getting me down, I just can't get it smoooth. I was shooting a plate, loading 4 and shooting another plate in like 9 seconds, I suck. With the shotgun round count at 135+ for the FN match, I have to work on this everyday, but my goal to peak for FN definitely wont be achieved on the shotgun.

dont focus on trying to get the shotgun loaded fast. try to get it loaded smoothly. I know i know, everyone says its "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". A super fast reload on 3 shells wont do you a bit of good when you drop the next couple on the ground. Make it a goal the next session to hit EVERY shell smooth into the tube on the first try. Get rid of the time for one session on shotgun loads. just make sure to hit them all. when you hit them all, then get the timer back out and set a time. when you beat that, move it down. you get the idea.

And a favorite quote of mine: "Whether you think you can or you can't....you're right!" ;)

10-15-2010 1.5 hours shotgun loading

10-16-2010 2 hours on range working on shotgun reloading, 1 shot draws, trigger press and sight alignment.

the shotgun relaoding is getting marginally better, but still having a hard time transitioning shells 2,3, 4 to the receiver.

Shot the Midwest 3 Gun this past weekend. I have a long way to go. I needed work on the shotgun reloading and did improve, even over the course of the three days, but several new weaknesses / opportunities for improvement were revealed:

1. I didnt hit clay birds at all, let alone trap style

2. I need work on the long range rifle out to at least 400 yds

3. I really struggled hitting pistol steel. this is really the one I am kickinig myself for since I have 35 steel that are sitting in the barn.

Well, at least I know where to begin for the Ozark 3 gun challenge!

It was good to meet you at the match. That was a tough match Jeff. There was no paper targets to hose on for the pistol or the rifle. Plus those little 4" lollipop targets taht we had to shoot with the SG were too small not to be given a full sight pictrue. Where did you end up in the standings?

I am pretty sure I was in the 90's. Congratulations on your finish. I think you got up there while there was still hardware? It was nice to put a name to a face, I would love to get in a squad with you to have you show me some of the tricks to that weakhand loading. I did much better, but have a lot of practice ahead of me. I am not at all dissapointed, just encouraged by my progress. Last year's match was my first 3 gun and I have only shot a total of 4 so far. I just need some more trigger time and practice and am fortunate to have the opportunity to improve.

Well the FNH 3 Gun Championship results are in, I officially moved up from 84th place of 118 competitors to 98th of 143 this year. This represents a 3% improvement :angry2: that is a lot of coin spent for 3%. New rifle upper, 6 personal trainer sessions, modification to pistol to make it Limited.

Things I think I did right: I did not get DQ'd and did not time out on any stage

Things I did wrong with my training:

Too much emphasis on shotgun loading

Not enough real trigger time with pistol at small targets

Not enough trigger time on the rifle, particularly past 200 yards

My steel targets course is one day away from being completely set up. I will call my rifle target guy today and get him off his butt to deliver my rifle targets. There will be no repeat for the Ozark 3 gun.

6/2 I finally got out to the range to shoot the new steel. I purchased 35 steel targets similar to what we shot at FNH. Also bought a couple of steel challenge type targets. They were awesome to shoot and my 8 yr old helped reset in exchange for getting to shoot the Ruger .22...heck of a deal :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

2.4 miles last nite in 24 minutes. Been on vacation and no working out for almost 10 days so I felt slow. Got 6 more steel challenge targets this weekend painted up and ready to set out at the range. Mowed it Sunday now just have to get over there and shoot it.

I shot Limited pistol steel Tuesday evening along with prone 223 and 308 rifle out to 200 yards. Shot a 6 stage steel challenge match with the open .22 today. My 8 year old son joined in for his first ever match. Proud as I was, I think his grandfather was even more impressed. I was more worried about him shooting someone to actually enjoy the performance (unfounded but I am the dad). I let my instructor and another serious shooter RO and instruct him and I marked his times. This really worked well and my shooting buddies were great with him. Thanks guys! The little turd can shoot, and he already wants to go fast, so the countdown is on till the first time he beats me!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted in a while but have consistently maintained my tree day a week work out routine. I have only shot the .308 for accuracy at 100yards. One of the biggest weaknesses to my 3 gun game is my inability to hit moving clays. I worked on this this weekend by going to a skeet range and shooting 2 rounds of traditional skeet. I was terrible, but got a number of great pointers from my group and felt dramatically improved my performance. I used my tactical gun with the Mod choke to keep it consistent with what we will see in upcoming matches.

• 2 weeks later...