Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SaddleSore 1000/ Bun Burner 1500, possible attempt

Just posting this to set a goal and hopefully get some insight if anyone has done this. I wanted to take a long ride this year on my Hayabusa and wanted it to be memorable. After talking with a friend of mine who rides and wants to give this a shot as well. So here goes, the Iron Butt Association ( http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1 ) has a bunch of guidelines for rides and time limits to do them in and if done you can submit an application and fee to get a certificate, pin etc and recognition on their website I think. Not 100% sure on all this since just found out about this earlier today.

What I am going to attempt is get both the 1000 miles in 24 hours and 1500 miles in 36 hours completed during a 4000 mile trip I am planning for the last two weeks of May. The attempt for the 1k and 1500 mile ride will be the first leg. So, going to start in Houston, TX go to Niagara Falls, NY (google maps says close to 1500 miles so if I have to ride a little more north or east to get that in I can).

I have done 1000 miles at one time on my bike so I feel that is in the bag, it's just the next 500 I'm really hoping to pull off and crossing my fingers that the weather will cooperate. I have pretty much a stock '05 Hayabusa (slip-on Yoshi Carbon Fiber) and that's pretty much it, no double bubble, no risers, pegs all stock.

Ok so here's the plan:

Houston - Niagara Falls - Cleveland (Rock & Roll HOF, just to say I've been there even though Rush not being in is a crime but that's another post) - up through the UP of Michigan - Minneapolis - Memphis (friend has never been to Graceland) - back home to Houston. Google maps has this as a little over 4000 miles and want to get this done in 10 - 11 days. (Staying 2 full days to party with my brother in Minneapolis on Memorial Day Weekend)

Ok sorry long post and if you read it thanks :) if you have done this type of ride some words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Cultldr

Done both on a couple of different bikes (CBR1000, and a Vstrom). The extra 500 is really not a problem but it is different than the 1000. The 1000 you can simply tough out when it gets close, the extra five hundred miles requires a little better planning. Build in stops and start taking them early, keep them at a good frequency. I would take one stop, get fuel, a snack and relax. Halfway to the next fuel stop I would get off the bike and stretch/exercise for 10 minutes. Rinse/Repeat. As stated above, stay hydrated and fed moderately (no shit food) nuts, jerky, a piece of fruit etc. This will keep you alert and able to make good decisions.

Obviously it was easier on the Vstrom than the CBR but thats where the stretching and movement helped a lot.