Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to go from here?

doc540

I've shot three local matches.

Built a 9mm 1911 Combat Commander with Novak geezer sights which is capable of shooting accurately and dependably

Put about 550 rounds through it at an indoor range, standing and shooting and drawing and firing three rounds at 7-10 yards

Started drawing and dry firing at home after work.

What should be my primary focus now?

More range time? If so, what kind of practice and at what distance?

More dry firing? If so, what exercises?

We only have a couple of matches a month around here, and I'm going to participate in as many as I can because as I was told here, matches reveal weaknesses and strengths.

Thanks!

Edited by doc540

All of this assumes you're getting good hits (90+% of the available points)...but I'd get the Steve Anderson dry fire books and work on those drills. Those will speed up your draw, turning draw, reloads etc. After that it's all about movement and stage planning/breakdown. Standing in an indoor range and blasting at one target, from a fixed position won't cover nearly all you need to do. Find someplace you can practice outside, and focus on movement, position entries and exits to both hard and easy targets. Shoot partial tarets or use hard cover and no-shoots to force you to shoot accurately. Practice unloaded starts, loaded table starts, unloaded table starts, seated starts, and any other unusual start you can think of. Don't neglect strong hand only and support hand only practice as well...it may not be as fun, but it pays off in match results. R,

Is the Anderson book at around $30 from Amazon the best deal going?

$24.95 + $4.99 shipping right here at BrainEnos.com.

Get it from Brian's store; support the sight.

Was that a Freudian slip? :D

done...buying a combo pack AND the Anderson book from here