Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB die question

I recently won a SDB in 45 C.

I reload for cowboy shooting on a 650, as well as lots of other calibers. I am considering keeping the SDB to reload my cowboy loads, but have a question regarding the style of the dies. I use Dillon dies on my 650 for the cowboy loads, and really like them because I cast and lube my own bullets and end up having to clean the seat and crimp die fairly often.

My question is: Do the SDB dies have drop free inserts like the standard dies? (I don't want to open the box in case I end up selling it and can't tell from the picture on the Dillon website)

Thanks for your time

Short answer is no, they don't have a quick clean insert like regular Dillon dies.

That said, they are relatively easy to clean pretty quickly. Just remove the powder measure, a hair pin and one screw, and then remove the top plate which has 4 socket head screws. You then have access to all 3 dies which are very easy to clean at this point. And you should run a dry patch through the powder funnel too.

When I load lead bullets I normally just have a routine where every 500 rounds I stop and clean everything. You can normally load a lot more without problems but, 500 rounds for me is a good time to take a break anyway and this way I don't ever have to worry about lube build up causing any problems.

This whole cleaning routine normally takes about 5 minutes to accomplish.