Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Primer disk not indexing

Some time ago I experienced some problems with the primer system of my XL650 not indexing. The problem is that the lever doesn’t reset completely after advancing and the hook doesn’t engage the next hole. This happened 1 out of 4 strokes. At the time I wasn’t shooting a lot of rifle so I took the primer system of my XL650 I use for .223 and everything worked just fine again. Since yesterday that primer system has the same problems as the first. What could be the reason? Everything was cleaned.

Let Dillon know and they will send you a new arm (not sure of the real name) for free. The piece (arm) that grabs the disk is bent causing the issue you described.

My primer disc is not flat, or something. Took me a long time to figure this out. One time it would work, next time it would bind (when taking it apart to clean). I think there might have been some divine intervention going on, 'cause it just hit me what might be going on. I experimented with flipping and tightening the unit. I just marked it and moved on with life.

It would be extremely unusual if the primer disc is not flat. Be sure the axle pin that goes down through the primer index arm and primer disc is lightly greased. Remove the primer feed from the 650,grease this pin, then see if the primer disc consistantly advances when you move the primer index arm manually. If that works well, then bolt the primer feed to the machine, and cycle the handle and see if the primer disc consistantly advances.

I have had this problem over the years and usually when it crops up, it is in need of a return spring replacement (not sure if that's the name, but that's what it does). I've swapped out the arm with the same spring installed only to have it repeat. Swap out that spring, or in a pinch, remove the spring and "stretch it out a tad" will allow it to work until Dillon sends you a new one. Usually I get the issue after the press has sat idle for a while (when I get back into loading match ammo after hunting season).

You might check your primer punch. The punch itself should sit below the level of its housing. I have had to replace my small primer punch twice now. When the punch itself does not retract properly it will maintain contact with the underside of your primer wheel and inhibit it from turning smoothly.