Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pimp my AR!

aessu

Well, I'm a student and want to make my rifle a bit more competitive, but I'm on a budget.

So here you go with pictures. Sorry about the quality, some of them are cell phone pics.

So here is what I have, a frankenAR:

arska.jpg

To get it started with, I modified the standard FSB into a adjustable gas system one.

saato.jpg

Tools used were angle grinder, drill press with 2.5mm bit and a M3 thread tap.

I also found that there's some unneeded parts in the rifle:

osat.jpg

Removing the weights from buffer made it lighter than the JP lowmass buffer. If I'll start

experiencing problems with bolt bounce, i'll add one of the weights back and it should cure the problem. It would still be lighter than JP LMOS.

This is something I'm still working with:

carrier.jpg

Now weights in at 234g with key, standard carrier being 263g with key.

Hope you'll enjoy it and get some ideas yourself.

Atm I'm waiting for my Millett DMS-1 and Burris PEPR mount. I know it's not Meopta or Swarovski,

but I'm having problems shooting from prone with my glasses on, as the frame

of my glasses sits almost right at the center of rear sight.

Shot it today with the standard weight carrier and empty buffer, after adjusting the gas system

(I used JP's manual for adjustable gas system as help, :roflol: ) Was a blast! Recoil felt almost like I would be shooting a .22lr instead of .223

Edit: cost of modifications so far: 75 dollars for carrier and 14cnt for adjustable gas system ( I bought a spare carrier, just in case). Add 300 dollars more for optics and mount.

Edited by aessu

Oh I almost forgot. I'm going to cut off the front sight, like on a Remington R-15 or Bushmaster Predator after the scope arrives.

And here's a quick sketch I made some time ago about the adjustable gas system: paskapiirros.jpg

The text "Kaasuputki" is gas tube in finnish, and the black area is where the hole is being drilled to. So the adjusting screw/hole is also drilled partially through the gas tube. This was the only way I could think of it with getting enouch material around the hole.

Edited by aessu

That looks good ,and it probably works even better. :cheers:

I know there is a guy in Finland that takes even more weight off the carrier , it is even alot leighter then the JP carrier (JP carrier weights 185 gram)

Yeah, I know him from the internet too, but I want to do it myself. Having access to a machine shop in university certainly helps a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

None whatsoever that i can notice. I used a bit of red locktite on it after adjusting it. (I adjusted when it was -15C outside, so during summer it will be a bit overgassed, but IT WILL WORK, and that's the most important thing. Reliability, reliability, reliability).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's another one. I really like the feel of the ErgoGrip with the SureGrip surface, but I also think that the grip is a bit too narrow. So i went with a Magpul MOE and finally decided to mod it a bit.

Heres what you need: a small piece of bicycle inner tube and the grip.

lahto.JPG

Getting there:

vahan_jo_paalla.JPG

Finished and put back to rifle:

kasassa.JPG

Edited by aessu