Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie looking for suggestions

B Dub

I am new to reloading and looking for suggestions on loading .40. I plan on shooting some USPSA matches at a local club in the future but want to get a bit of practice in first. I am looking for suggestions on a .40 load 180gr. to run at about 140 PF. I am going to start in Production but am reloading and shooting .40 because I have access to brass. I want to use the "push the heavier bullet slower" theory for recoil management. I will be shooting a Glock 22 and 35 and have best access to Winchester 231 and WST powders. I am thinking of using the Precision bullets or a Moly in a SWC or FP (180 gr). Any input would be appreciated and if another powder or bullet would be better, I am open to suggestions. Thanks to all in advance!

I have shot Glocks for years, but ususally JHP's. I have shot very little lead and am aware of Glocks stance on it and the issues with fouling. I have read a lot on the forums about Moly's, Bayou bullets, and Precision. From what I have gathered, I thought the Precision or Bayou would be the best bet. If I am going to get any real practice in, I am going to have to keep cost down. I have a friend that has shot hard cast lead for years through a Glock and has no problems, so I think the whole issue is up for debate. But I am open to suggestions from anyone with experience with the different brands and types. Regardless, I think its a matter of shooting, checking for fouling, cleaning, etc. Do you have any experience or knowledge of the Bayou bullets? I read that they do well in Glocks?

Thanks for your help!

I am new to reloading and looking for suggestions on loading .40. I plan on shooting some USPSA matches at a local club in the future but want to get a bit of practice in first. I am looking for suggestions on a .40 load 180gr. to run at about 140 PF. I am going to start in Production but am reloading and shooting .40 because I have access to brass. I want to use the "push the heavier bullet slower" theory for recoil management. I will be shooting a Glock 22 and 35 and have best access to Winchester 231 and WST powders. I am thinking of using the Precision bullets or a Moly in a SWC or FP (180 gr). Any input would be appreciated and if another powder or bullet would be better, I am open to suggestions. Thanks to all in advance!

I loaded and shot 3.4 grains of WST with a 180 grain jacketed bullet in 2 Glock 22s, a 27, and a 35. That was the Glock match load of choice. It never failed to be reliable.

The practice load was a 205 grain cast bullet with enough Red Dot to recoil like the 180 grain FMJ. Both loads shot the same point of aim making Glock match practice cheap. I can't remember the charge of Red Dot but it wasn't much, maybe 3.2-3.5 grains.

I never had a problem with lead fouling BUT these cast bullets were .401 diameter. Any cast bullet that is too small or crimped so much the bearing surface has been reduced may cause leading. If the case wall is straight is straight you have enough crimp. The crimp in an auto pistol bullet does NOT hold the bullet in place, only friction does that.

RP