Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed and Track as it relates to Grip

Seth

Its a complete process not a technique that you write as step 1, step 2......

To get there sometimes you do need to learn stuff as a process, that's why I first teach a 60/40 grip pressure to get the fundamentals of USE YOUR WEAK HAND TOO. Look for results and eventually it will come down to Shoot the gun, call the shot, repeat.

I guess relate it to say sliding a motorcycle around the dirt curve, You don't stsrt doing it but a M will do it without thought and "in the moment" responding and driving to inputs. He too learned "grip" and stuff like that.

Eddie, I reread the section in Brian's book about grip last night and he emphasized a neutral grip with a minimal influence on 'controlling' recoil. I need to get some more rounds downpipe this week and play with it... but my grip is negatively effecting the sight track.

I just don't know what to do with it yet....

Since you've re-read the passage about grip tension, you need to read this thread. You may have done what I did, which is misinterpret what Brian was trying to say in the book.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47744&st=0&p=550159&hl=grip&fromsearch=1entry550159

Jake,

That is a fine line to find: as firm as possible without being tense.

Although I'm often associated with a "relaxed" state of shooting (because of using word "relax" in my book), I actually shot with a very firm grip and arm position. When shooting my best I felt very solidly "behind the gun."

To me, the word "relax" meant backing off from the typically overly tense state that seemed to always come over me upon hearing the start buzzer. ;) So in a sense I was "relaxing" from being too tense.

And then on top of that, for me, a specific feeling and level of firmness that I felt in practice had no relationship whatsoever to what that same level of firmness felt like in a match. In a match, if I felt "relaxed," my tension level was actually fairly close to what it felt like to be just firm, in practice.

I said "for me," because I feel it is a temperament related issue. I think there are a lot of people who can say to themselves, "I'm going to shoot at Tension Level #8 (TL 8) on this stage in practice," and then say that same thing in a match and have the actual TL's be very similar if not the same.

But for me it was not like that. I always defaulted to coming out of the holster much tenser in a match than I ever did in practice.

So (again) for me, it really helped when I figured out how to create, remember, and manage an optimum tension level for match shooting only. Since "the juice" wasn't there in practice, managing the TL in practice was much easier: shoot firm but not tense.

be

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction so here is my take on grip. If you mounted the gun in a fixture there would be no sight lift or sideways movement of the sights. Obviously we do not have enough wrist and forearm strength to eliminate sight movement. So grip the gun as firm as you can to reduce the sight movement as much as possible and apply pressure equally to the gun from all directions. That should result in the least amount of sight rise and zero sideways sight movement. If the tension in your firm grip negatively effects your ability to maintain a good sight picture reeduce the grip pressure and plan for more sight rise. If the sights are moving left you are applying more pressure or force to the right side of the gun and vice versa. You also need to look at the position of your arms behind the gun as they will effect the sideways movement of the gun too.

I learned a lot about controlling sight movement while shooting my AR15 with a scope and dot reticle. If I hold the forearm on the left the dot moves up and right. As I move my hand around the forearm I can change the direction of the dot movement directly away from were my support hand is. Obviously the rifle with it's length gives your forward hand extra torque to control sight movement but the concept is still the same.