Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PDQ MINIMAX cleaning system

GunCat

I ran across the this PDQ MINI-MAXcleaning system at the SHOT Show and its got my attention. Basically a steam cleaner that uses much more air than water (something like 95% air. 5% water). The guys in the booth would clean rings, knives, jewelry, etc with no water dripping from the item. My bulk cleaning system now consists of a 20 gallon parts washer, brushes, and compresses air to dry. If I can shave 10-15 minutes per gun off cleaning time (and reduce the mess) this MINI MAX device might be worth the investment.

However...I'm cautious and belong to the “if it sounds to good to be true...” crowd.

Anyone have more knowledge and hands on experience with this cleaner? How does it work on caked on .22LR fouling? Does the hot air / steam affect Duracoat, plastic, or other finishes? Will the machine hold up for years?

This looks like the same machine we run at the range. It uses distilled water and, I think, a Slip 2000 as a cleaning solution. It is used over a big stainless sink with mesh over the drain hole rather than over that rig used in the video. I was worried about applying water in ANY form to a gun, but it is so hot it evaporates and leaves me with metal that is too hot to touch. We use gloves if you have to run more than a gun a two through it, due to the heat. I have not tried it on any coatings, but it works with plastic frames without damage. It seems to have plenty of horsepower to blast away .22 residue, as it heats and the "gunk" to break it loose and the pressure gets under it. I don't know the exact model we have, but it looks like that size. I treat guns that have been through it like they have been in an ultrasonic, with plenty of re-oiling. I think it does an excellent job short of a total strip-to-the-frame, and it may do as well...no way to really measure. The bore still has to be cleaned with the normal way, at least in my guns it does.

Ours did break down once, but I don't know if it was from neglect or what. The factory repaired it. It seems very heavy duty and built to last.

Edited by sheepdog