Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IK Headstamp 5.56x45

up2dsno

I think you have some Yugo stuff:

IK = Igman Zavod, Konjic, Yugoslavia

I found it on my go to source for headstamp info:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

If you have a bunch of it, why not uniform the flash holes to the standard spec? I imagine that as long as you don't ream it oversize (make sure it the same as commercial brass) you'd be OK. That way, you only have to do it once, and you don't need to buy a special die.

I ran into some of this stuff (at least I'm pretty sure that was it) sometimes because it gets mixed in with my brass at the range. My RCBS die just bottoms out at the flash hole because it's way too big. My Lee die, as you pointed out already, has a smaller pin which works most of the time. Once however it did decap one of them, then on the upstroke the fit was so tight that it actually pulled the decapping pin out of the die, leaving it stuck in the case and therefore stuck in the press. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on and why the case wouldn't move. It was pretty tough to get it out, too. Maybe just a fluke, but I'd thought I'd mention it just in case your case mysteriously doesn't want to move anymore. :)

Doing a google search, it seems most people throw this stuff out. Unfortunately I have a lot of this brass and I hate to just scrap it.

I decap the IK brass with the Lee decap die and ream out the flash hole with a Lyman Flashhole tool mounted in my RCBS case prep station thingy. It's a pain in the you know what. I started doing this right around November 2008 and even though supplies have loosened up a bit, I can't seem to stop. It's one time thing and the brass is fine for use practice / blasting once this one step is taken.

I load them. I run them through a 1050, maybe that's why every once in a while I get one that feels tight. I'll have to check tomorrow. My theory is if it's boxer primed, I load it for blasting ammo. For hunting ammo, I'm more selective with the brass.

I load them. I run them through a 1050, maybe that's why every once in a while I get one that feels tight. I'll have to check tomorrow. My theory is if it's boxer primed, I load it for blasting ammo. For hunting ammo, I'm more selective with the brass.

Are you using Dillon dies? What is the diameter of the decapping pin?

I'd like to be able to decap and resize at one stage.

Are you using Dillon dies? What is the diameter of the decapping pin?

I'd like to be able to decap and resize at one stage.

I'm using Dillon dies. They came on the 1050. It will be a couple of days before I get home to measure the pin. It's whatever came in the dies though.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee die works as advertised. :) Easily decaps this stuff.

Got to thinking if Lee can do it, Dillon can do it better. Broke the decapping pin on first case. :(

At least the Dillon comes with a spare decapping pin.

Having the same trouble as a lot of people on here adjusting the Dillon sizing die low enough.

• 13 years later...