Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JerkeeJoe's Progress Tracker

jerkeejoe

Fairly new USPSA shooter.  Have now shot three matches.  First match was with a production G17 and I finished around middle of the pack.  Next match was a steel shoot and I was top pistol.  Most recent match was a holiday match where I finished 13 of 50 or so overall and 5th in Limited with my G35.

I've decided that instead of shooting casually, I want to really train and step up my game.  I'm currently unclassified as I've never shot a classifier, but after shooting the most recent match, including a steel side stage, I was told I'm shooting at least to an A class.  We'll see where I actually fall when I finally get to shoot a classifier. I'm currently registered for four matches in the next 6 weeks including two steel matches and two steel and paper matches.  My focus is going to be on stage planning and calling my hits.  

My training goal is to dry fire 4 nights a week and live fire 3 days a week.  My shooting club is about 5 minutes from my office, so I can run over in the morning, or at lunch time to shoot for an hour pretty much any day.  I'll try to re member to update here regularly.

Shot a steel match Friday night and shot horribly.  On Thursday I installed a frame weight and thumb rest. Shot for a bit Thursday afternoon to test fire and felt good, so I was comfortable shooting e match on Friday with it installed. Not sure if it was the significant change to the weight of the gun and the feel of the thumb rest, but I did not shoot well.  The only other excuse I can think of is that it was a night match with not the greatest lighting. I think I’ll blame the gun and lighting and not myself. :D

Steel match last night.  Shot pretty well, but struggled a little bit seeing the front sight in the very poor lighting at the range.  The match was at Nellis AFB and the lighting was gas generated floods well behind the firing lines.  Overall not a bad match for me.  Finished second pistol and 4th overall out of 37 shooters.  Had 3 stupid malfunctions that were my own fault.  Probably cost me a few seconds, which took me from first pistol to second (and second overall to fourth).  

I'm enjoying shooting matches more each time and look forward to the next one.  In the meantime, I'm going to work on transitions and on making sure I'm seeing my front sight clearly before breaking each shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a super Classifier match yesterday morning. Shot master on 2 of the stages and A on the other 2 stages. With the average, I anticipate my class will be A. 

Definitely agree there needs to be focused practice focusing more this week on target transitions.