Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home defense shotgun loads tested

JohnAdam

Two of us went to the range yesterday with four 12ga shotguns (1 semi-auto, two pumps, 1 double barrel). All had 18 1/2" barrels with cylinder bore and were unscientifically tested with multiple brands of 00 & #4 buckshot shells. Targets were two steel 12x20 targets, one at 12y and one at 25y. All shells were 2 3/4". Only buckshot pellets that hit the 12" x 20" targets were counted. Results are as stated, exact measurements not always made due to not wanting to delay other shooters at the range:

more: eco dream

PMC 00B, 9 pellets, 1330 fps, "One Shot High Velocity Buckshot", #HV12BK 00: This is a very nice looking 9 pellet full power 00B load that functioned perfectly in all 4 guns and was of old style interior construction with no spread-control wads. Spread varied between guns but usually gave 7-8 hits per shot at 12y and 5-6 hits at 25y. 

Winchester Super-X #4 Buck and S&B #4 Buck, 27 pellets, HV full power claimed on boxes. Both loads covered almost the entire target at both 12y & 25y. All 27 pellets hit the target at 12y, 17-18 pellets hit the target at 25y. (NOTE: S&B Buck recoils less so I doubt they are really full power. The only malfunctions of the entire test were the S&B shells that malfunctioned in the Remington semi-auto several times by failing to eject all the way, another sign they are under powered.)

more: pcc1 thanh xuân

Federal Premium Law Enforcement with Flightcontrol wads, 00B, 9 pellets, 1145 fps velocity = not HV. These loads are amazing! At 12y all 9 pellets impacted in one tight 4" group. At 25y all 9 pellets impacted in a tight 6" group. 

Bottom line: The best indoor close range loads were Winchester Super-X #4 buck followed by PMC 00B. Both spread well at close (indoor) ranges and seem to be HV as claimed. The #4B did spread much more than the 00B at 12y and is less likely to penetrate exterior walls making it the most effective and safest fast action indoor load in my opinion.

The best long range outdoor load was the Federal 00B with Flightcontrol. I didn't test it past 25y but 6" patterns at 25y strongly suggest it would be an effective man-stopper out to 50y or more. None of the other loads appeared to be effective man-stoppers past 25y-30y, if that, due to insufficient percentage of pellets hitting the target.

I would not use S&B for self-defense. They are under powered and not sealed.

more: chung cư eco dream

If I can ever find the shooting range unoccupied I'll take the time to more accurately measure patterns. But beware that even though all 4 guns were cylinder bore (no choke) the patterns varied from gun to gun so you really need to pattern test your own gun to know for sure what it will do with your preferred loads.

2 hours ago, JohnAdam said:

But beware that even though all 4 guns were cylinder bore (no choke) the patterns varied from gun to gun so you really need to pattern test your own gun to know for sure what it will do with your preferred loads.

If all the guns were the same gauge and barrel length, and were all cylinder bore, the variance in patterns would have to be a function of the ammo.