Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Magazine release sticking

Keyst0ne

Encountered the first problem in 2,000 - 3,000 rounds on my STI Marauder this morning.

I was shooting failure drills (3 to a mag, then slide lock reload to reset) and found that my (stock STI) magazine release wouldn't depress. Turns out the retaining screw had rotated counter clockwise just enough that the paddle moved into the channel in the grip and was blocking lateral movement of the release. A slight turn of the screw clockwise put it back into position and unlocked my magazine.

Now, I don't live in California so the idea of needing a tool to release my high capacity magazines is pretty foreign to me.

Has anyone encountered this before? I haven't been home to break it down a take a closer look but I'm thinking one of two things:

1. Need a stronger spring to hold the retaining paddle in the grip detent

2. Grip detent isn't clearly defined enough to hold the screw in place -- gun needs to go to STI

Really hoping that there is a solution that doesn't involve sending the gun back to STI -- I need it next week, but not if the magazines don't come out.

• 1 month later...

I looked high and low for a mag release button (not drilled and tapped) that was serrated for my 2011.   Glenn Rasch @ Lone Star Innovations added the serration on the gun he built for and I never even ask him to add the serrarions for me. I think he saw my hack job on my old gun and decided if I am going to be sporting one of his LSI guns he may as well add then so that they look professional. Lol 

as for your issue the Dawson mag release is a great choice but you might solve your issues with just a new spring. Thanks