Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock 10mm range report!

38superfan

In case any body is interested in these pistols here are observations from my RIA 10mm that I bought less than a month ago.

First cosmetics/ergonomics:CONS-

Right off the bat is obvious mismatch in color of parkerizing between frame and slide.

Next up is the fiber in front sight. Muddy orange and doesnt really get any brighter. Foggy looking.

Edges of grip safety and thumb safety are rather obnoxious.

plastic msh (more on that in a bit)....

PROS-

Tight fit all around

Trigger pull is nice and crisp.

Function test-no issues, thumb safety is quite firm on and off.

Cleaned all the goopy oil of and re oiled with clp.

Now the range time!

I ran 50 rds of atlanta arms 180 rnfp, 50rds bitter root valley 180 rnfp through it.

only had 1 10mm mag that it came with but brought some 8rd power mags from my 45.

Ran like a champ with factory mag, not so hot with the cmc 45 mags. Honestly I brought the cmc mags along to see if what folks had told me about running 10mm in 45acp mags worked fine. Well not for me.... Going to be ordering some Tripps for it.

Accuracy was a bit more than mediocre but workable. Came out to around 3" at 25yds. Not bad at all. One thing that I had heard prior was that these guns come with crap springs... that is absolutely correct! Ordering some 20-24# springs shortly.

Overall not a bad gun, even "for the money". Is it perfect? Nope, but it's a very good place to start in my eyes. It's got a nice bull barrel that slugged out at .401", is ramped in the para/clark pattern. Slide is cut for a bushing as well which is what peaked my interest really. My plans for this are simple really. Smooth out all the rough edges, pick up a take off barrel out of a P16, get some 40cal mags and try out some local matches in single stack.

Here are a couple things on mine that are causing it to go for a trip to NV for warranty. These are on mine and might not and hopefully dont happen to other folks guns..

First is the MSH pin holes are off a smidge. Non issue with their plastic msh but big issue when I tried to install both an Ed Brown and fusion magwell, Holes would not line up, also noticed the opening on both of them were visibly crooked to the left. This also leads me to believe the slots are crooked for it in the frame. Second issue is the lpa novak style adjustable rear sight. Mine was ham fisted down so bad that it is stuck and wont move.

Now I know that mine has problems that should not be there but this is far from normal with this company. I have seen, shot, and handled plenty of armscor's and not come across this before. Lots of folks have put aftermarket magwells on them that worked fine as well. I contacted armscor about this and they promptly sent a return label and form for it. They will make it right so i am not worried. Just had to shoot it before I sent it in. :) So there's my nickles worth. It will be correct when it comes back and I will be happy. Just wanted to share my experience.

That's only the second time I've ever seen that... MSH slots that are not perpendicular, and that was on a "seconds" LH Foster/Randall frame. Are any (of your) MSH square to the sear spring bed? Funny that the trigger is good, which is usually one of the several things (like your sights/TS/GS etc) ignored on a budget gun... yet the frame machining is off.

When I work (not too often) on a budget gun, the frame and slide are usually pretty good - the things that are wrong are relatively easy to fix - it's the "bits & bobs" that are not taken care of, with the idea (at least IMO) that someone who want's to, can correct them.

Keep us (or at least me... I love this sort of "pearls from swine" stuff :P ) up on how things progress.

C

My Caspian is square as well as my colt. The sights bug me but will be fixed as well. I don't know of any smiths that work on these guns and I totally see why. Yeah the trigger was quite a surprise to me. I'm not by any means trying to brag about this pig just wanted to share my experience was all.

Nice report, and fingers crossed that the pistol shows back up in good shape really soon. Been thinking I will pick up one when they show up locally to add to my two EAA and Colt Delta Elite in 10.

FYI, I have seen another 1911 with leaningMSH holes, and have seen more than one with holes in a slightly off location (which really messes with changing the MSH to arched ones like I like)

Other than the pin holes the pistol is good. Yeah it's no custom but it will serve my purpose. I've loved 10's for a long time but the 1911 is my favorite platform and that combo had been too pricey since the kids came along. Yes there are trade offs with this piece but they are worth it to me. I'm sure it will great when it comes back so I can't wait. Hoping to pick up a 40 barrel for around $100ish to shoot in matches occasionally.

Ok as of Friday it is in their hands. 4-6 Weeks for warranty work. Used to be around 2 so I'm thinking things are amiss with the mfg plant across the pond. Pre speculation on my end but when the wait time doubles or triples it doesn't take much to conclude that they have several problem children to deal with......

So hopefully beginning to mid August I will have it back.

One other thing I noticed as I was boxing it up was peening on the front edge of the slide stop notch. Easy fix but annoying.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok out should be back in my hands on Monday! I hope to heaven that they did more than what was started in the email. "Customer alleges...." Like I made crap up. I'm baffled. Howdoes clean-lube, tune fix fd up machining on frame? Dang Bruce must do one heck of a cleaning and tuning job to fix that!

Ok so I got it back this morning. They did more than was listed on the work order. Replaced the slide, rear sight, and recoil spring. The new slide is not cut for a bushing so no point in fitting a barrel in 40s&w since I don't believe there are any comps that allow a bull barrel in full size single stack. The frame is still forked up but will post another thread to address repair options for that. Locks up tighter than a...

Will get it to the range this weekend to see how it shoots. No silk purse in this story but it should do what I need it to and won't worry about putting it through the ringer this hunting season!

Well my new slide isn't cut for a bushing so I'm not going to convert it anymore. Don't want to think about what it wouldcost to get cut for a bushing...

The new ones are not bushing cut but are still ramped in the Clark style.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I figured out what was up with my frame. Not only is the back machined unevenly (one side sits higher than the other where the msh fits) but the msh pin holes are off a bit. No biggie if I liked the plastic msh and separate magwell, but I don't. Got a solution from log man over on the 1911 forum and it was very easy. My magwell fusion magwell now fits like it should and I am a happy camper!