Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Measure Tips and Tricks

Any idea where I could get a couple of the springs used in the earlier powder bar systems?

My thoughts about a micrometer powder bar are twofold... It should be easier to return to previous powder amounts... and it should be easier to dispense more accurate powder amounts due to the finer threads on the micrometer. That should help return to previously chrono'd powder amounts in the future.

UniqueTek also pre-installs their micrometer in an Arredondo Powder Drop Slide. Not sure if the Arredondo slide would benefit me a lot, but it would provide a second, complete powder bar assembly that I could just swap out... and would also leave my old powder bar slide intact and ready to use if needed.

You're quite welcome...

1) Dillon will still supply the springs for the older type powder bars if you call and ask for them...

2) Once you have an example of one or two, you MIGHT be able to save some money by sourcing them locally at Ace Hardware (or similarly equipped hardware store)... Dillon is reasonable on the price, but unless it's with another order, the shipping will drive the per piece price up a bit.

3) I don't have the Arrendondo small powder bar w/ micrometer, but I'm sure it is a quality part. NOTE: Arrendondo ONLY makes the small powder bar, not the large one.

4) Micrometer Powder Bar kit - DEFINITELY makes it easier to return to a previously identified setting, because the powder bar has SIGNIFICANTLY less thread lash than the stock hex screw... (thread tolerances and TPI both come in to play here). Additionally, I find it easier/faster to get my powder charge set the way I want it. Whether it is more "accurate" once set is arguable... I've never tested it directly, but the elimination of the bowed washer setup in favor of NO WASHER on the mic would tend to support LESS potential for lash drift... Either way, I have a mic on every powder bar I use.

Whether you choose to mod your own bar, get a second stck bar and send it to Lee at UniqueTek, or buy the Arrendondo bar pre-modded is a matter of personal choice, and how much $$ you want to spend. ;)

Thanks! Next time I order from Dillon, I'll ask about the springs.

Part of my reasoning for ordering the Arredondo powder bar is that I wouldn't have to ship my powder bar off to UniqueTek... and I wouldn't have to pay for a second powder bar (and shipping) from Dillon. Plus I would still have the original unit if ever needed. The Arredondo powder bar has a minimum powder drop of 0.7gn and a maximum powder drop of 15gn. I am usually in the 2 to 4gn zone, so it should be fine for me.

I'm using a GemPro 250 digital scale that is accurate to the hundredths decimal place... I probably waste a lot of time trying to get the powder closer to my chosen load point than required. My thinking is that it will bring all the rounds closer to the same velocity, but not sure it's really worthwhile. More accurate powder bar can't hurt... :)

...I probably waste a lot of time trying to get the powder closer to my chosen load point than required. My thinking is that it will bring all the rounds closer to the same velocity, but not sure it's really worthwhile. More accurate powder bar can't hurt... :)

Hey, you're talking to the king of OCD when it comes to a lot of things... reloading is one of them. I get it. I'm not AS picky as I used to be, but it's a process that a lot/most good reloaders go through. I STILL get super picky if/when I make up test lots of ammo for projects and stuff. Hard to explain, but I think some folk's brains are wired differently... Mine is... I HAVE to understand HOW the watch that I am reading the time on is made. If I don't know how it's made, I can't trust the accuracy of the reading. ;)

The more you learn and the longer you do it, the better you will learn when and where to be a picky SOB... ;)

I REALLY want one of those scales that can accurately weight ot the hundredth of a grain... Don't need it, but I want it.

Edited by cautery