Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio witness 40sw steel cracked slide

dnotarianni

Anybody have this happen to them Noticed a vertical crack running up the slide from just behind the recoil spring tube almost to the middle of the slide and when I took it apart I found another one running lenght wise up the recoil spring tube. Called EAA who said to send it back to them. Just wondering if this is an oddball problem or something I need to think about getting rid of the gun for. Gun is the large frame style Steel Witness and round count is between 3-4000.

Thanks

Dave

I had an EAA Witness frame in 40 crack near the slide stop pin hole. I sent the frame, an older blued one, back to EAA, and they replaced the frame with a new competition style SS frame with high beavertail grip. I kinda made out like a fat rat. I couldn't thank them enough.

Anybody have this happen to them Noticed a vertical crack running up the slide from just behind the recoil spring tube almost to the middle of the slide and when I took it apart I found another one running lenght wise up the recoil spring tube. Called EAA who said to send it back to them. Just wondering if this is an oddball problem or something I need to think about getting rid of the gun for. Gun is the large frame style Steel Witness and round count is between 3-4000.

Are you running a stiff enough spring?

This sounds like what can happen if the slide is bottoming out on the frame. This recoil spring tube is what hits the frame, and when you have that kind of shock-loading on hardened steel you can get cracks.

What does the face of this tube look like (the flat side that is inside the gun)? Does it look shiny?

I had a new in Dec 10, 40 Compact with the unimproved round-top slide. The slide cracked with less than 300 rounds through it. I sent it back to EAA along with $20 for return shipping, that's right you must pay for return shipping.

They slapped on a new unimproved round top slide. The slide cracked again with less than 300 rounds. I sent it back a second time and they just slapped on another POS round top slide.

The third unimproved round top slide also cracked with less than 300 rounds. Back to EAA one more time. This time they replaced the POS unimproved round top slide with an Old Style Square slide. So far so good.