Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder For Shooting 230gr Reloads

dsonyay

I've been reloading with a friend and we've always used W231, or WST.

Now I have my own Dillon and am preparing to load on my own.

I was curious about using VitaVouri powders. They are more modern I suppose. Are the VV powders a bit more "advanced" (cleaner burning/easy metering) than the old relaibles of 231 or WST?

What do you think of VV powders for 45acp?

I only shoot for fun, and about 300 rounds a month. Once a month I shoot an informal IDPA match for fun with a group of friends.

Any recommendations for a VV powder? Or should I just stick to what I've been using?

I'll bet since 1977, I have shot 50 pounds of 231 and a bit of WST.

I have made the same move you are considering. Just bought 4 pounds of VV N320 to shoot under a 200 gr H&G 68.

for me the criteria was, small SD over the chrony, clean, accurate, meters well, and avaliable.

I tested Clays, WST, WSL, WW231, Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, Titegroup, Universal Clays, Solo 1250, Trap 1000, VV N320, VV N330, and VV N310, plus a couple more that are not worth mentioning.

N320 gave me what I was looking for. It is clean, meters well in my 550, gave me a SD under 12 fps, will shoot into 2" at 25 yds off the bags, and I bought enough that I won't have to look for it for a while.

It is not the cheapest or easiest to find, but it is very good powder. I think you deserve to investigate it before you settle on anything else. Good luck with the search.

There is another thread on here somewhere, where I posted this, but I can't remember where. I use N310 for my 230gr .45ACP loads.

4.2gr, Montana Gold 230 CMJ, OAL 1.255, Winchester LPP. Makes major, and runs all of my 45's without a hitch.

Goo luck.