Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

712 NOT GOING INTO BATTERY COMPLETLY

rondog

I am looking into buying my friends 712 setup for 3gun competition.  When firing it at yesterdays match first shot would go bang and cycle but not fully go into battery for second shot.  the gun would stop short of complete battery almost at the point where the charging handle on the bolt group needs to be to be removed during disassembly.  Cannot figure out if it is the bolt group hanging up or a week return spring.  this issue does not happen when manually cycling the gun with no ammo in it.
Ammo does pass the plunk and spin test. AA super sport sporting clays 2 3/4", 3 1/4 dram eq, 1 1/8th oz, 7 1/2 shot, 1300' velocity. 

Grease the hell out of the cam pin and cam pin slot in the bolt carrier. Clean and oil the slots in the barrel extension that the bolt locks into. enjoy shooting gun that goes into battery every time because of proper lubrication. Remember there is always time for lubrication ;)

Hmmm... if the gun was having these problems and I was considering buying it... I wouldn't buy it. Lots of other great options besides a 712 that doesn't run right.

I had a Mossberg that didn't run, and the best thing I did was get rid of it and get a Versamax.