Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oln Cancelling Water Dog

EricW

The lowest common denominator wins another round. OLN's Water Dog is reportedly being cancelled. I'm not a huge hunting show fan, but Water Dog is notable for at least having some class. It's actually about people, dogs, and hunting, not a 30 minute gear peddling spree.

Express your self to OLN by signing this petition

I predict it will be replaced by the new show, "Monster Beach Ambush" where Teutuls Paul Sr. and Jr. try to kill each other with impact wrenches and win babes.

Eric-dude;

Don't even *mess* with OLN! They're headed somewhere else.

Why not drop an e-mail to the Powers-That-Be on The Outdoor Channel about picking up WATER DOG?????

Michael B, who, in the interest of full disclosure, get's *paid* by The Outdoor Channel...

MB,

Even though I know exactly zip about broadcasting it's crap like this that makes me want to start my own network. There is NOTHING left for grownups. Everything is for kiddies and/or total morons. Surely, there has to be a market for non-sensational, informative programming. I wish you well and I'll goad the Outdoor Channel into picking up Waterdog, The Shotgun Journal and whatever else I can think of.

BTW, what the hell was OLN thinking when they decided to do non-stop coverage of the Tour de Frog? No offense to France, but 38 seconds of that felt like I spent two days watching metal rust.

Eric;

In a world of niches, it's hard to be all things to all people. The Outdoor Channel made a business decision to stay focused on the core market--hunting, shooting, some fishing and appropriate vehicle (World of Outlaws racing, 4-wheel stuff, a little moto cross country like the Baja race).

As you can imagine, the stakes are *mega-huge.*

In my days as a magazine editor, we used to say that the phrase "let's broaden our base" was synonymous with "excuse us while we jump off the building."

I like TOC (in addition to the fact that they pay me) because I get to deal with humans rather than committees. I've come in with ideas that are totally off the wall, even by *my* standards, and had them listen for 10 minutes, then say, "Cool. Go ahead." As I mentioned in some other forum, for the ZERO TO HERO two-episodes, on the fainal assault, we ran 4 catwalk camerapeople, 2 followers on the floor and 4 fixed-place cameras in the shoothouse, not to mention the fact that we talked our way into one of the premier sims facilities in the world (absolutely closed to civilians) and, in effect, ran a 3-day military operation in San Diego. The network's response was, "You guys have all the fun! What are you doing next?"

Michael B