Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just shot my first match SSR

will227457

From looking at my loading tables, the 38+p loads don't get to about 1/2 psi of the 357 loads (17-18000psi vs 38000+psi). I believe that the M19 is a 357 rated K frame. S&W does not recomended shooting 357 loads from K frames on a regular basis, but you're not going to be doing that. There are a few +P factory loads that make 125pf, but not many. Ask around for these mfgs. other wise you will have to load your own.

Hope this helps.

yes this is what happened shell was in front of the extractor

Some guns had a short extractor spring from the factory. Some guns have had their spring shortened to get more stroke out of the extractor. If the extractor will travel far enough for you to place a case in front of the extractor, it has too much stroke. While it would seem good to have enough travel to completely pull a special case free from the cylinder it can also be a match killer if you get one in front of the extractor. I think that it is better to limit the stroke of the extractor to make it impossible to get a shell in front of the extractor. The newer longer extractor springs coils will stack and limit the amount of stroke. You will need to extract the shells with enough energy to get them to clear the cylinder but at least you won't get one in front. It cost about 3 bucks for a new spring from Brownell's so it won't cost you much to try. Brownell's part number 940-075-940.

yes this is what happened shell was in front of the extractor

As mentioned previously, the cause of this malfunction is typically not holding the cylinder all the way out when you punch the ejector rod. Invariably it's the inwardmost cartridge casing, the one nearest the frame, that hooks on the frame, thus the extractor star is driven up and over the rim and you wind up with the extractor star on top of the casing. As you've found, I"m sure, this is a bad malfunction because it requires you to manually hold the ejector rod to the rear while you then pull the casing out as far as it'll go, then, in my experience, bend the casing out of the gun. This is, shall we say, a somewhat slow process that does your overall stage time no good. ;)

Holding the cylinder all the way out while punching the ejector rod = good thing.