Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammunition Sales Laws?

The other night I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods in Columbia, MD and was wanting to buy some UMC 40 S&W ammo for my revolver. The guy behind the counter asked for a Maryland Drivers Liscense. I told him I didn't have one as I wasn't a resident of the state. He said he could not sell it to me if I was an out-of-state resident.

I've done some searching, but cannot come up with anything that supports this. I have a feeling that this is incorrect. Can anyone help me with this (esp. if there is written reg's/law for me to quote, print and hand over)

Its store policy or a mistake on the part of the sales staff as far as I know. I grew up there and live ebout 20 min from the MD border (in VA thank God). I bought 2k of WInchester 9mm at the MD Bass Pro Shop two months ago without a request for ID. What happened to you is not a matter of state law.

However, at one of the big chain stores (K-mart or walmart) about 2 years ago, I was asked for ID to buy .22 ammo. Fair enough, one has to be over 18 to buy it if its for a rifle or over 21 if its for a pistol - stupid state interpretation of law but thats the rule and one has to be over 18 to buy ammo throughout the US as far as I am aware. Thing is, I am 36 & look my age. What was really odd was the clerk glanced at the ID and then ran the Driver's License' magnetic strip through his cash register. I'd just been registered as a buyer of handgun ammo, thanks to Walmart/Kmart's ammo policy. Sorry to hear that Dick's has cowed to some dumb idea of "ammo control" without the support of the legislature. Being a private company, they do have the right to deny your purchase.

What the MD legislature has done by law is require registration of all reloading propellant buyers and a record of every transaction no matter how small. The day I bought 2K of 9mm, I also bought 14 Oz of Clays and it required a photocopy of my license & my signature in a log book. That is state law. Another good reason to donate to the NRA, the GOA, or the pro gun civil rights group of your choice.