Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Revolver Timing Questions

sprout

I've been looking to try a different revolver in IDPA, when I stumbled on a 6-shot 686 cylinder on Ebay for $50. I figured "what the heck" and picked it up to try in my 686+. It fits in the cylinder window, and had some endshake that was easily fixed with a Power Custom bushing. I dry fired it a bunch, and it seemed to time well, even with my finger dragging on the outside of the cylinder. I shot a couple of matches, and it seemed to run great.

However, when I dryfire left-handed, it fails to carry up maybe one in three times. Any ideas why this would happen?

Edited by sprout

Probably side play in the trigger-hand linkage. It can be retimed not to do that.

Thanks. Is it something I could fix with a shim on the trigger? I've called two smiths in my area, and neither wants to work on timing issues. I'm reluctant to send it to S&W for fear it will void the warranty or something. Do you think I would be asking for trouble if I left it alone and I kept an eye out for the gun shaving lead?

Edited by sprout

Do you have cases in the chambers when you're checking timing? It makes a difference.

Wow, thanks. With cases, it locks up consistently when the trigger is pulled at a reasonable speed. With the trigger pulled very slowly, it comes up a tiny bit short once in maybe every three cylinders or so.

Wow, thanks. With cases, it locks up consistently when the trigger is pulled at a reasonable speed. With the trigger pulled very slowly, it comes up a tiny bit short once in maybe every three cylinders or so.

Go shoot it.