Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Art of the Marksman

AriM

""A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.""

Author: Leopole Stokowski

If this is true (I am a musician as well as graphic artist, so I have found it to be so).....the the following could also be held up....

"A marksman paints his picture on target"

Ari M.

My Zen is this.....all that is science and technical, is also art....why? because we do not understand certain unknowns, until they become "known"....yet we are still able to accomplish these tasks in space and time.....I was able to get excellent groups on target before any investigated "understanding" of the subject....why is this? I have found that the more I question my technique and attempt to modify it, the less focused I become on the art....why allow this to happen? I could get the results I was after before all of the "science"....some things just are...call this "faith" if you like....one should have faith in his/her mind and body as pure forms....the corruption/pollution of the human condition, leads us to question what is....often this leads to no realization, other than nature is a perfect balance...we should accept this and flow with the waves....ALL things are, after all, waves...there are no straight lines....all things pulse, ebb and flow...the tide, the wind, life.....as a surfer learns to ride a wave and become one with the water...we should learn to ride the waves....

how can we apply this to shooting? learn to become one with the waves....do not fight your gun....do not attempt to understand why things are or are not....simply understand that the variables are so VAST, that coming up with some simple formula to explain why you did or did not perform, is just an excuse for your fragile ego....

learn to ride the waves....practice the art....this is my Zen

Edited by AriM

• 3 months later...

Is the blank canvas the artist paints his picture on any more real than the silence the musician paints his picture on ?

I am the waves .... this is my zen.

I could answer the question, but it would only be a statement of opinion. I suppose neither of us would find any Zen in the answer.

.....nothing

• 1 month later...

Is the blank canvas the artist paints his picture on any more real than the silence the musician paints his picture on ?

I am the waves .... this is my zen.

I could answer the question, but it would only be a statement of opinion. I suppose neither of us would find any Zen in the answer.

.....nothing

Contrary to "public opinion" there is nothing in all the Universe but your personal opinion - the trick is to sort out the dreck...but as T.E. Lawrence said, "...there is no trick - but if there were a trick is not to mind the pain."