Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full power slugs in FN shotgun

TXMXRACER

Yes. Mine shot them (Remingtons) just fine with the light piston. As I said in another post however, I found my SLP shot the Fiocchi low recoil slugs better than it shot full house slugs. YMMV.

Edited by Hartmann

I started out with the light > 1 1/2oz piston and it seemed pretty harsh (on me and the shotgun) shooting full power slugs so I tried the heavier piston that came with it and it was allot nicer to shoot the full power slugs (fiocchi 1560fps etc). With the heavy piston in I tried the Walmart Winchester value pack birdshot that I use for practice and it continues to cycle without any issues. From other stories I have heard maybe I just got a really good SLP Mark 1 or keeping it really clean and lubed pays off...

Just my experience,

Jeff

I started out with the light > 1 1/2oz piston and it seemed pretty harsh (on me and the shotgun) shooting full power slugs

I found this as well, esp. compared to my Vang Comp'd Mossberg 590A1. That was one reason I went looking for a reduced recoil slug.

I have good luck running the remington reduced recoil slugs on targets out to about 50-60yds and then for the ~ 60 to 100yd targets I go to the fiocchi 1300fps slugs or in some cases the fiocchi 1560fps slugs to really reach out there and not have to drop them in like mortar rounds.

Jeff

I started out with the light > 1 1/2oz piston and it seemed pretty harsh (on me and the shotgun) shooting full power slugs so I tried the heavier piston that came with it and it was allot nicer to shoot the full power slugs (fiocchi 1560fps etc). With the heavy piston in I tried the Walmart Winchester value pack birdshot that I use for practice and it continues to cycle without any issues. From other stories I have heard maybe I just got a really good SLP Mark 1 or keeping it really clean and lubed pays off...

Just my experience,

Jeff

This is kindof worrysome as it seems "over-gassed" with the low-power piston. If the "heavy" piston will fire bird-shot, then firing anything but low-recoil loads (beanbags, etc.?) with the light piston would be asking to cause damage similar to the broken pistons suffered by the early Benelli M4's that used the 4-port system, no? I don't own an SLP, but this is just a thought. Feel free to point out my error.

A friend just suffered a broken light piston on his SLP. He was shooting Federal flight control 00 buck... Something to think about

The SX1 suffered broken pistons often, and it just worried me that the system doesn't have a better self-regulation/relies on only one piston. I will not be getting an FN, this answered my question from another thread.

Good points, I have heard about but have not investigated the piston reliability mod that some have mentioned here on the forum. I believe that they remove the spring from the piston and substitute an aluminum sleeve. Maybe someone else can chime in with the details since I have not looked into this yet.

Jeff