Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Bullet Type

Graham Smith

Needless to say, there is a lot to learn about reloading for a rifle caliber. I pretty well understand the basics for 9mm and .40 pistols, but rifles seem more complicated. Add to that the fact that for my first foray is into .223 which seems to have more choices than a 5 page, 3 column menu at a Chinese restaurant.

For example, it appears that for general purpose shooting, Hornady bulk 55gr bullets are a good place to start. But there are two choices, FMJ boat tail and spire point flat tail. I know that the boat tails are easier to seat because I've used heavy 9mm boat tails. But other than that, does one design have any inherent (accuracy) advantage over the other (these are for shooting paper and steel, not critters)?

Needless to say, there is a lot to learn about reloading for a rifle caliber. I pretty well understand the basics for 9mm and .40 pistols, but rifles seem more complicated. Add to that the fact that for my first foray is into .223 which seems to have more choices than a 5 page, 3 column menu at a Chinese restaurant.

For example, it appears that for general purpose shooting, Hornady bulk 55gr bullets are a good place to start. But there are two choices, FMJ boat tail and spire point flat tail. I know that the boat tails are easier to seat because I've used heavy 9mm boat tails. But other than that, does one design have any inherent (accuracy) advantage over the other (these are for shooting paper and steel, not critters)?

55 FMJ are fine. MG, Rem, Hornady bullets. all good to go.

You need to think Brass preparation!!!! rifle loading is Brass prep, it is a must! MUST!

you have brass. lube it re-size it.

TRIM it, Trim it a little shorter than the specs.!!!!!!!! this is KEY,, if for some reason your brass is long,,, your rifle will jamb!!!!! a little short,,, your good to go,,,,,, Possum hollow. trimmers look them up, cheap, a get the drive holder and use it in a drill// drill press.

de-burr, chamfer the cases. inside and outside the mouth.

swedge the primer pockets.

now you are ready to load the case.

use normal load data,,,, more on this forum than,, you could ever use....

I use Lee dies, they have a crimp die,, it works well for me!

clean the lube off of the loaded rifle ammo!!! I run it in my case cleaner until they shine,,, usually under an hour.

then you are good to go!

Jim M ammo

We are using the Hornaday 55 gr FMJ BT with WC (With Cannelure).

We are getting typically 3/4 to 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards (ocassionally 1/2 inch) using a Dillon 650 to reload and Sabre or Noveske barrels on the AR's.

At longer range, heavier bullets are nice to fight the wind and also move the flashers better.

Recently I had little difficulty hitting an 8 or 10 inch plate at 500 yards off a bench using my Meopta 1-4 (Once I remembered to put the bottom of vertical post on top of plate).

Robert L2723