Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trooper class questions

I am new to 3 gun and I have some questions about the trooper class:

1. Id like to run my fixed optic up close and a variable for long range. Can I change optics on my rifle during a match?

2. Are drop leg AR15 mag pouches ok to use?

3. Can I use a heavy metal rifle on some stages (long range!) and my AR15 on others?

Thanks for the information.

I am new to 3 gun and I have some questions about the trooper class:

1. Id like to run my fixed optic up close and a variable for long range. Can I change optics on my rifle during a match?

2. Are drop leg AR15 mag pouches ok to use?

3. Can I use a heavy metal rifle on some stages (long range!) and my AR15 on others?

Thanks for the information.

Trooper has absolutely no restrictions on equipment and how you reconfigure it during the match other than it must all be carried with you from the start of the match to the end of the match.

Here are the current Trooper Rules as used at Ironman. I don't think FB3G changed the rule tweak we made to item 4; it doesn't make much difference though. I don't think using a subgun or PCC at FB3G would be advantageous on any of the stages I have seen there before.

Firearms

1. Trooper Class shooters may use firearms from any of the other specified classes. A Trooper class shooter may use all iron-sighted guns, or open class guns, however they must be able to transport any firearms (and spares) without assistance from stage to stage by themselves.

2. There is no limit on magazine capacity, bipods, scopes, etc in Trooper Class.

3. If a shooter decides to carry more than one firearm, spare upper receiver, optics, etc they may elect to use them on a stage as they see fit. Rifle calibers may only be used on rifle targets, shotguns on shot targets, and pistols on pistol targets. Multiple firearms of the same category may only be used at the discretion of the range officer or as prescribed by the course of fire. For example; a shooter may not begin the stage with a bolt-action rifle and swap out to a semi auto carbine for the rifle targets unless authorized to do so by the range officer or switching guns prescribed by the course of fire. If a range officer assesses that it is reasonable and safe to allow a trooper class shooter to use multiple guns on a stage, they must do so for all Trooper class shooters.

4. Trooper Class shooters may use pistol caliber carbines or submachine guns to engage both rifle and pistol targets. The equivalent start position for holstered handgun if PCC or subgun cannot be holstered is slung across the front of the body with safety on. Hands will be in the same required start position for pistol. All Safety rules including the 180 still apply. The shooter should still bring a handgun and be prepared to use it if stage design makes it more practical.

5. The only thing a trooper class shooter may add to their gear and not carry with them is a hard locking case to store their firearms in the locked stat house at the end of the day. All firearms maintenance must be performed at the range, with the cleaning kit and supplies the shooter has brought with them in their pack.

I will say that most of us use equipment that is somewhere between Open and Tac-Scope. It is generally not worth carrying extra guns. I did use an SBR'ed Uzi for rifle and pistol targets at Ironman this year, and it did help some.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to add, if you can not legally leave your firearms behind, you will not be penalized. I use a CAV-16 (M-16 type gun) and while I leave the upper, the lower stays with me as per NFA rules. The same would apply to a SBR/AOW or possibly duty weapons.