Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .223 for "Beginners"

JeffWard

I'm looking to set up to start loading .223 in addition to 9mm. I'm pretty proficient and safe working with 9mm, with multiple powders, OAL, bullet weights, etc. I own the powder scale, calipers, tumbler, etc for loading pistol ammo.

Aside from bumping up to a 550, in addition to my Square Deal... how does the process change? Neck-trimming, etc.

Can someone point me to a how-to thread?

Thanks,

Jeff

Not too much difference except for all the little case prep steps that are done between resizing and loading. I decap using a universal die on a single stage just to keep the crap out of the progressive...tumble either before or after decapping - some do it each way.

I then lube the case, resize it and tumble again to remove the lube. If you're decapping and resizing in one step, just be sure to lube. Now, off the press and....

Trim the brass, deburr and chamfer the mouth and, depending upon how anal one is, you can ream primer pockets, deburr flash holes, etc.

Now you can get back on the progressive and prime, drop powder and seat the bullet. If dies are correctly adjusted, you should not need to crimp. Some folks like to handprime before going back to the press.

That's about it - a lot more case handling than for pistol but, good ammo at a better than retail price....when one can find primers.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL

If you're serious about reloading .223, I would go with the Dillon trimmer and mount it on the first-pass toolhead you use on the 550. Size/deprime in station 1 and trim on station 3. I then run everything through a Dillon swager, clean it again with (fairly) clean corn cob media to get the case lube off and any stray trimmings out, then it is ready for the final loading pass through the 550.

The Dillon or the Giraud - there are really no other serious contenders for volume work. That said, I've got a long winter to prep brass so I still struggle along with one of the lathe designs ... these are manual cranks altho you can get drill adapters for them.

Wilson (at Sinclair), Hornady, RCBS, etc all offer something similar - I prefer the Hornady for easy, precise adjustment. Lyman's cheaper one wobbles the case too much but their better model is same as the others - - around $65.

Lee has a 'zip trim' that looks shoddy but some folks like them for $20 - has a 'lawn mower' pull cord.

Possum Hollow has a caliber specific hand trimmer that looks interesting for only $20 but I haven't tried it. It can also be drill powered.

/B

I've been using the RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer with the 3 way cutter... Seems to work great and is around $250 for the whole setup. I'd have bought the Giraud trimmer but $400 is a little steep for me.

Or if River Valley Ordinance is still offering 223 brass ready to load go that route...

I started loading .223 last year. Previous to that all I'd done was 9mm.

I found the Possum Hollow case trimmer was a great help - its cheap and fast. Of course if you have the $$$ the dillon one would make things go quicker.

Crimped primer pockets are a PITA. I got the Dillon swager and haven't been thrilled with it. No matter how I set it up I have a hard time seating primers in the brass.

Check out the how to at AR15.com - go to the armory section and reloading is towards the bottom. There is a great step by step pictorial on reloading .223. It helped me a lot.