Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Presidente - - The Original

Bill

There was some discussion on here a while back about target spacing and distance for the El Prez. I thought I had read an article by Jeff Copper about that somewhere. Today I had time to go to the basement and look through my old gun mags. I found it in the Jan/Feb 1979 issue of American Handgunner. It was interesting reading the old magazines to see just how far we have come.

This is what Jeff said: "Three standard silhouettes are placed at ten meters distance, three meters apart. - - - - This is "El Presidente de veras" the true and original. There are, of course, various altered versions."

There was also an article telling how to put S&W K-frame sights on a 45 auto. Things have changed.

Bill Nesbitt

My hat is off to you Bill!  Working mostly in a vacuum,  I didn't realize for a long time that USPSA shot the El Prez with the targets closer together.  Out of habit, I still keep it set up "the Colonels way" down at the Pistol Palace.  Once in a while, I encounter the stage in a match setting and always feel pleased that I've practiced it the hard way.  Tradition often pays too heavy a price to innovation.