Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Jam

Jeff686

I had a strange jam today at a local match. My gun was just cleaned and inspected, and ran great for the whole match, except for one string.

The stage was a real hozer setup, with eight targets within 6 feet of the box. See the pic. The course of fire was 3 strings. String 1 was one shot per target freestyle, string 2 was stronghand, and string 3 was weakhand.

I shot from left to right. I was pushing really hard, and not stopping the gun, just pulling the trigger as the muzzle passed the targets. I jammed on the 3rd target, and then again on the 7th. The jam was caused by an ejected case getting caught in the slide as it closed. On the second and third strings, I shot from right to left, and there were no jams.

My gun does not have an anemic ejection. It throws them 5-8 feet to the right, and slightly forward. However, they don't eject upward, but rather directly horizontal.

Has anyone had jams like this when driving hard to the right? Like I said, the gun ran great the rest of the day. - edit, added a pic of my gun, and the scope has NO brass marks on it.

4106834751_383b6f8abb.jpg

3883499978_cef1472d1e.jpg

Edited by Jeff686

When was the last time you changed your extractor spring? Mine has done this kind of jam when the extractor spring got too weak. My .40 Limited will launch the brass forward and to the right at least 10 - 15 feet when everything is working as it should. When the brass gets closer than that I know that the extractor spring is starting to go bad.