Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Special Loads for IDPA

usp45ss

I've got a 686 SSR on the way that I'm going to shoot in the local IDPA matches. I'm going to start loading for it and had a few questions. Who makes a good cheap round nose hardcast bullet? Probably 158gr. Most of the ones I see online seem to be flat point for the cowboy shooters.

Also, anybody using Trailboss to make minor with a 38? I picked up a pound a few years ago to experiment with subsonic 308 loads but never got around to it. I've loaded up a few practice rounds for my J-frame and was impressed by the lack of smoke with cast bullets. I can get a bunch of Trailboss locally for cheap too.

Finally, anybody use Solo-1000? I've got a bunch of it that I'm working through.

I used to shoot 158gr American Eagle (federal) LRN ... never seen federal bullets for sale

I've loaded tens of thousands of .38's with Trail Boss ... usually pricey powder ... but if you can get it cheap, it's not bad ... don't need much anyhow ... IMR book says 4.2gr for 158gr cast @804fps ... 127pf ... don't know what IDPA requies

I understand why ya want LRN, but RNFP are gonna be a lot easier to come by ... if your chambers are chamfered, they should still be pretty good ... have ya ever tried 'em?

I’ve just switched from Clays to Solo 1000 in .38. Frankly, I can’t tell any difference in felt recoil, accuracy or smokiness with lead bullets (my main reason was to try a little smoke mitigation), but I’m very happy with the performance so far. I’ve gone to a 147 grain plain lead round nose bullet (it’s actually the standard 9mm LRN bullet, just sized to .358 for us in .38s). They are a little more pointy than a standard 158 round nose bullet, which will help with quick reloads. I get them from Stonewall Bullet Company – you can look him up on the here on the Marlin Forum - for a nickel apiece shipped. For the 147s, I use 4.1 grains of Solo 1000, set the OAL at 1.500 and taper crimp them at .375. I get a PF of about 130 out of a 686-6 and my other SSR guns. In my more accurate guns, this load shoots under an inch at 15 yards. For a 158 grainer, I’d back it off a tenth of a grain and see what you get.

Edited by Brewski